• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Does my boat have two soles?

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
During one of the many pauses I took during this weekend's work, I noticed something kind of odd. I think my boat has already bee re-soled, at least over the top of the original. Was this an original install, or do I actually have two layers?20221112_144830.jpg
20221112_144916.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My '84 boat has a permanent sole about 3/4"' thick, for comparison. The bilge inspection hatches have mitered teak over the T&H end grain.

Is that end grain on a bilge lid in the photo? If so, might suggest an answer.

I think that, if desired, my sole could be successfully covered in new T&H plywood, maybe in 3/8th as the 32-3 uses. You'd have to trim the furniture casings and the head door, but it would work as cosmetic improvement. Downside would be original foundation, probably soft.

On models like mine the sole is really, really hard to replace, which also suggests somebody laid a new top over the old.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Yes, the second picture is of the last most bilge lid above the dust bin. And yes, the substraight is soft... Sounds like I have my answer.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Interesting about the thickness. Our '88 boat has an (approx) half inch T&H veneer on plywood sole. I might be misremembering, and it might be 5/8, but it's not very "thick" compared to your examples.
And speaking of possible replacement, I DO not want to have to ever replace ours. Single sheets of T&H-surfaced ply were about $150,/sheet a couple decades ago. Nowadays it's probably a multiple of that. :(