Dorade vents...same song

1911tex

Member III
Searched the forum and cannot find an answer. What keeps the vents (not the dorade itself) from barring entry of rain water.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

Note that the 'Dorade' scheme does let rain (and spray) enter along with air, and then routes the water back out to the deck.
Some older sailors might recall the Matec vent from 20 or 30 years ago with its flexible interior flap that was supposed to close under the force of solid water but remain open to provide minimal restriction to air flow the rest of the time. Long gone from the market, and remaining examples in use probably have the vinyl becoming hardened and inflexible due to age.

History and Trivia.... maybe or maybe not helpful.

1911tex

Member III

Note that the 'Dorade' scheme does let rain (and spray) enter along with air, and then routes the water back out to the deck.
Some older sailors might recall the Matec vent from 20 or 30 years ago with its flexible interior flap that was supposed to close under the force of solid water but remain open to provide minimal restriction to air flow the rest of the time. Long gone from the market, and remaining examples in use probably have the vinyl becoming hardened and inflexible due to age.

History and Trivia.... maybe or maybe not helpful.
Now that is a perfect explanation...why didn't I think of wikipedia??? Thank you Loren...nothing like a visual...now I understand!

JSM

Member III
Wish that was the case. On my 34-2 the dorade vents on the transom go straight through. Four years ago in my (never ending) quest to stop a leak in the transom I removed the vents and replaced them with snap on caps from Defender.

Parrothead

Member II
JSM, the Dorade is the water trap, not the cowl vent if that's what you were thinking. Their name comes from the first boat they appeared on, Dorade. There is a similar vent system located in the hull at the bow just below the deck on Ranger One Tons (R37) with a nearly identical water trap named Myth of Malham vents, again so named for the first boat on which they appeared.

Tin Kicker

Member III
The transom cowl vents were also an invite to wasps.

Don't have a photo but I replaced the scoops with half-dome dryer vent caps from Home Depot. The caps have gutter foam inside to prevent bugs passing through. My port vent hose has the computer fan in it so there's always an air flow to vent the engine compartment. Been busy with houses and kids and will try to get photos soon.