• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Dorade vents...same song [and cowl vent solutions]

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Searched the forum and cannot find an answer. What keeps the vents (not the dorade itself) from barring entry of rain water.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

Note that the 'Dorade' scheme does let rain (and spray) enter along with air, and then routes the water back out to the deck.
Some older sailors might recall the Matec vent from 20 or 30 years ago with its flexible interior flap that was supposed to close under the force of solid water but remain open to provide minimal restriction to air flow the rest of the time. Long gone from the market, and remaining examples in use probably have the vinyl becoming hardened and inflexible due to age.

History and Trivia.... maybe or maybe not helpful.

1911tex

Sustaining Member

Note that the 'Dorade' scheme does let rain (and spray) enter along with air, and then routes the water back out to the deck.
Some older sailors might recall the Matec vent from 20 or 30 years ago with its flexible interior flap that was supposed to close under the force of solid water but remain open to provide minimal restriction to air flow the rest of the time. Long gone from the market, and remaining examples in use probably have the vinyl becoming hardened and inflexible due to age.

History and Trivia.... maybe or maybe not helpful.
Now that is a perfect explanation...why didn't I think of wikipedia??? Thank you Loren...nothing like a visual...now I understand!

JSM

Member III
Wish that was the case. On my 34-2 the dorade vents on the transom go straight through. Four years ago in my (never ending) quest to stop a leak in the transom I removed the vents and replaced them with snap on caps from Defender.

Parrothead

Member III
JSM, the Dorade is the water trap, not the cowl vent if that's what you were thinking. Their name comes from the first boat they appeared on, Dorade. There is a similar vent system located in the hull at the bow just below the deck on Ranger One Tons (R37) with a nearly identical water trap named Myth of Malham vents, again so named for the first boat on which they appeared.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
The transom cowl vents were also an invite to wasps.
20200110_162457-X4.jpg

Don't have a photo but I replaced the scoops with half-dome dryer vent caps from Home Depot. The caps have gutter foam inside to prevent bugs passing through. My port vent hose has the computer fan in it so there's always an air flow to vent the engine compartment. Been busy with houses and kids and will try to get photos soon.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Finally got to take photos of the vent caps. Each has a a single screw so it can not be knocked off and the foam keeps the wasps out. The only trick to these transom ones is they need to be displaced about a half inch to aft so the lazarette hatch covers don't hit them when swinging open.
20200523_200710-X4.jpg

There's no way water will come in this forward one to rot the plywood in the dorade box. When my buddy saw these, he asked what kind of GPS or electronics they were the antennae for. ;)

20200523_200823-X3.jpg

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Tin Kicker what a great suggestion!!!! You say these half-dome dryer vent caps from Home Depot will fit not only the transom, but the bow dorade vents as well ? If yes....I am on the way to the Ericson department of Home Depot!!!

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
They come gray and the white is the Appliance Enamel. It dries harder than most enamels after about a week. The white was a surprisingly good match.

The aft and forward take different diameters. The aft is easy, as I cemented a shower drain (upside down) to the existing mount, then used the standard matching pipe in the dome.

The front took searching to fit and I ended up with two hose clamps on a rubber adapter.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I took that off my gas dryer in the laundry room because it so severely restricted flow and clogged with lint.

Just sayin'.

You will have to be very careful with lint.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Good point: I have to routinely clean the lint out of our flapper dryer vent the builder of our house installed periodically as well...located on the side of the house next to the washer/dryer room. Any vent that a dryer hot air exits will collect a buildup of lint.

We don't have a dryer in the sailboat...need just a piece of foam or a screen like Tin Kicker suggested...to keep bugs and mosquitos out and helps air movement to keep the cabin healthy. Mostly to keep moisture and rain water out of the dorade.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
I took that off my gas dryer in the laundry room because it so severely restricted flow and clogged with lint.

Just sayin'.

You will have to be very careful with lint.

True and the foam comes right out if wanted but first any lint would be stopped by the screen in the ceiling of the head and there's not much fabric for lint in the engine compartment.
Will have to let you know if it becomes an issue over time.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Thanks for all your kind assistance folks...I am installing the Tin Kicker dome vent caps (above) on the stern (quick to remove and inspect per Christian Williams suggestion above) and finally restored the bow dorado vents below using copper scrubbers to keep the little critters and mud daubers out..(dozens of mud nests removed) and still breath air in and out; again...thank y'all !
and oh, yes...soaked the bottom of the dorado with penetrating epoxy.....and kept drain holes open.

Attachments

• 7D4E5063-7CA9-44B1-8621-9D78F5B45036.jpeg
    7D4E5063-7CA9-44B1-8621-9D78F5B45036.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 21
  • AE6CCFAC-EA8C-4EA0-A05F-4682371D5D65.jpeg
    AE6CCFAC-EA8C-4EA0-A05F-4682371D5D65.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited: