• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Dried rubber bumper (Rub Rail) on E27

ibarreto

I have a 1975 E27 and I wonder how to restore the dried white rub rail around the hull. It's chalky and releases a white powder. Is there any way to restore it?
thanks
Ignacio Barreto

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I actually did a light sanding, washed and paint (Pettit Topsides). It's not permanent but looked good for years and not chalk on the back of your legs!

Jerry VB

E32-3 / M-25XP
The best way is to buy a new rubber insert from Wefco. I replaced mine in 2015 for $278. I did not note how many feet I bought, probably 70 (more than I needed, but I did NOT want to run short). I called the number (below) and the person who answered was very helpful.

It was not difficult to replace. I worked from the deck; putting the lower "lip" into the channel and then pushing down with a plastic tool to pop the top lip into the channel (you can do it by hand, but your hand will get sore).

Wefco 1-818-886-8872
NB: The Wefco catalog has a die number index in the back
  • Rub Rail - Die Number 4107 (page 2, bottom row)
  • Window channel - Die Number 2154 (2016 catalog page A29)
  • Window Filler - Die Number 1256 (2016 catalog page 50)

ibarreto

The best way is to buy a new rubber insert from Wefco. I replaced mine in 2015 for $278. I did not note how many feet I bought, probably 70 (more than I needed, but I did NOT want to run short). I called the number (below) and the person who answered was very helpful.

It was not difficult to replace. I worked from the deck; putting the lower "lip" into the channel and then pushing down with a plastic tool to pop the top lip into the channel (you can do it by hand, but your hand will get sore).

Wefco 1-818-886-8872
Thanks a lot Jerry! That's very good information, appreciate it. Do you know if the E27 and E32 use the same 4107 model?

Second Star

Member III
I did the paint route myself. A good rub down with acetone prepped the surface and then I used latex paint to bond with the rubber. Like others have reported it was quick and worked well for a couple of summers

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Once you get the rubber out of the channel, you may find that many of the screws holding the extrusion to the hull-deck joint are loose, stripped, or pin-point penetrating all the way through the hull. It may take a day or two to figure out what to do about this and effect a plan.

Anyway, back in 2012 or so, I replaced the rubber with the vinyl replacement offered by Catalina Direct. It seems like it shrank over time - I noticed the end pulled out from under the end cap. Then sometime last winter, the whole strip vanished. Laying at the bottom of the river I guess. Just fell out? I dunno...

Kevin A Wright

Member III
I replaced the rail in my 1977 E27 with the Wefco rubber moulding years ago. Worked great but I recommend to do it on a hot sunny day so the rubber is more pliable and to use some dishsoap and water to help it slide in. I just made a thin wooden wedge to pop the top lip into the aluminum channel and a bump with a rubber mallet to seat it. Also took the time to rebed all the screws holding the channel on as some of them had started leaking.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

Spoondude

Member I

Wefco 1-818-886-8872
Thanks Jerry phone help was terrific and useful.