• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Drought stricken E29 whats best!

asacco

I have an E29 on Lake Conroe in Texas. The drought has lowered the lake level significantly. My E29 is stranded at its peir. The water level has dropped to where the keel is in the mud. She is still currently upright, but not much longer. I'm soliciting advice do I let it lie over as the water level continues to drop or do I attempt to put in some type braces under the boat?

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Drought Stricken

Just a few thoughts.....
Can you tie to four corners of the pier???????

Also....can you tie the mast to four corners of the pier......

With the keel dug in it should not take much to hold the boat upright......

This of course is assuming that you can tie off the four corners......and you know what assume means!!!!!!!

Good luck....I would hate to see the boat over on its side....

Regards

Gmilburn

Member III
Another Idea

How bout buying a couple of come alongs and putting straps under the bow and aft, and then securing to the dock. Depending upon how strong your dock is (and whether you have a full or half slip) I would keep it upright till the water comes back.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
If you are going to do jackstands, you need one in front of the keel to keep her from nosing over. Not sure how soft
the bottom is where you are, but I might set the stands on some blocking to spread the load over a wider area.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Our well made Ericson hulls could certainly stand being laid on their sides without any appreciable damage. The problem would be when your lake finally refills, the water might enter the boat before she re-floats. That could be catastrophic. Can you get some blocks under her to keep her upright? Maybe some heavy railroad ties for either side of the keel and short pieces at the bow with a vee cut block on top?

asacco

Thanks for all for the ideas. The dockage is a ricketty peir on the port and two pilings on the starboard. I am going to try tieing off criss crossed spring lines starboard aft to forward port and so on and draw them tight with 3/4 inch lines. Once the water level drops and the boat has settled more firmly in the mud put some footed supports against the hull to help stabilize it from side to side. As of 8/27/11 there was about 4.5 feet of water and it is dropping about 6 inches a week. I think thats probably the best I can do, and pray for rain.

shang082111.gif

Andy Sacco
Shangrala
Hull #166
1972 E29

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Having grown up in Houston and being at least a little familiar with most of the lakes in that area I suspect that the bottom of Lake Conroe is going to be mud. Your idea of lashing the boat to the pier seems like the logical choice. Once the boat is lashed to the pier it won't be going anywhere, unless the boat pulls the entire pier over onto itself, which is highly unlikely. As the keel sinks into the mud that will also give some support.

You will, however, need to keep an eye on those lines, checking them regularly and adjusting them as the water level falls and then rises again. At least you don't have to worry about tides...

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Drought Stricken

Andy:

I'm with Mark......

His local knowledge confirms what I thought..... your photo further confirms what I thought......and his advice on watching the lines is without question....

Best of luck

newpbs

Member III
Solid Lumber?

Could you run a couple of 2x6's from the dock to the mast to steady the boat? It seems like it would only take a little support to keep the boat upright. One 2x6 lashed to each side of the mast and screwed to the dock might be worth considering...

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
It may not be that bad. My boat sits in a slip that at low tide has almost no water in it. (I have a couple times seen nothing but mud for 40' around my boat) I draw 5' and the water depth ranges from 7' to 0. I too am over mud and the fin keel and spade rudder just slice their way into it. It is likely that the weight of the boat will just drive your boat into the mud as well and it will stay upright on its own.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Solid Lumber?

I wouldn't attach anything rigid between the pier and the boat; you will just have to reposition it as the water falls and rises, and it will be more difficult.

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Support for the bow

As Martin indicated, the boats' CG is way ahead of the keels' footprint. As bouyancy is lost the bow will eventually have to go down. It would take some manner of "A" frame under the bow to stop it from tripping. Blocked and tied to the dock and the piles to keep her upright would really be all you could do. And then the question arises, once the tide comes back in, how do you extract whatever you set in the mud for support.
Just out of interest, have you tried to move her to deeper water?

asacco

Thanks for all the ideas. I have decided to tie her in place with tow straps, they do not stretch and have a 5500lbs weight capacity, and then as the water continues to receed I will place some type of stands to help stabilize her. She is currently pretty firm in the mud, the winds were blowing around twenty and she wasn't moving. We waded out to the pilings to put the straps on, about waist deep. No rain from tropical storm Lee, we were very disappointed.
SHANG090411.jpg

Andy Sacco
Shangrala
1972 E29 Hull #166

Vagabond39

Member III
Air Bags

Another Idea is to obtain some airbags. Use them as pontoons to keep the list minimum. There are some that rescue uses to raise trucks, reilroad cars, etc. so they will handle the load, and you don't nee high pressure air for the water surface.
They should be fastened (tied) togeather under the hull, forward and aft of the keel.