• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 25+ hatch replacement

gargrag

Member II
Hi all,
Sorry If this was answered before, but I couldn't find an answer

We have an Ericson 25+ 1981. The fore hatch Is leaking, and it's the only remaining leak we have, we have replaced all the portlights, sealed all the teak etc, etc.
Would someone know what model/size is that hatch?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Wooden frame hatch or Lewmar alloy framed hatch? Or another brand of aluminum alloy hatch?
Can you post up a picture?

Shankara

Member II
I have a 1980 25+ and just fixed my forward hatch leak. Pulled it off, cleaned the surfaces real good, and used a healthy amount of Butyl tape between the deck and hatch, and put a little tape in with each screw when tightening back down. Had to let it settle and tighten down a couple times before it set snug. Completely fixed the leaks.

It was apparent when the hatch was removed that the factory sealant goop was completely turned to dust, so water was just passing right underneath.

Here’s a picture of before and during:
F95775F5-658B-4C5F-8DCD-45BA8BF0E2BA.jpeg

A60435A5-3FE3-495C-AE8C-DC8E96A3767B.jpeg
The width between the insides was about 16”.

gargrag

Member II
Thanks @Loren Beach and @Shankara I think I'll do the rebedding first, (and also fix one of the hinges. To stop more leaks, as replacing the whole hatch looks like a project on it's own.

Thanks for your help, really helpful, I don;t know why I didn't think about rebedding

Shankara

Member II
I had no idea what I was doing but one day I just took it off and realized there is not much to it.

I also bedded all of the hardware with butyl tape because those had some leaks too. A temporary fix done as the onslaught of winter was beginning. Like a giant weight off my back when it worked.

Thanks for the link Loren! A-H looks like the manufacturer and they can help refurbish so this is really great info. :) I tried to figure out the maker this summer because I need to replace the plexiglass and gasket.

gargrag

Member II
Yep @Shankara in terms of before the winter fixes. we figured our new to us e25+ never had the portlights serviced, and we were able to disassemble them, get the frames powercoated, and the glass re-sealed right before the rain season. like a weekend before, then we spotted some rubrails that needed rebedding, the last leak is the hatch.

Attachments

• IMG_2339.jpeg
    IMG_2339.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2342.jpeg
    IMG_2342.jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 11