• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-25 keel installation

Kringe

Bobby G..junior Pirate
I will be installing my new keel in the coming week and amd wondering if anyone is interested in pictures of the process. I can post pics with progress along the way. Lemme know if anyone is interested..

adamd

Member II
I will be installing my new keel in the coming week and amd wondering if anyone is interested in pictures of the process. I can post pics with progress along the way. Lemme know if anyone is interested..

Yes sir, I'm interested. Mostly because my rope looks like it will break at any second.. But I'd like to see the whole process too!

Every E25 that stays in a slip will eventually need this treatment as the iron core will eventually swell, and need work, so your offer is taken gratefully. I have this to do in the future, and so does a club friend with his E25.

How did constructing your CB come out? Big job? Looking forward to your description and photos. - Chris

davisr

Member III
Bobby,

Yea, what Chris said. Would really appreciate some pictures of the whole process. I will be reinstalling my refurbished centerboard in the not-to-distant future. Would like to see how you do it.

Adam,

Having followed Bobby's centerboard story for some time, and having just heard you mention the questionable condition of your centerboard line, I feel obliged to say that you might want to address this issue as soon as possible. If I recall the details properly, Bobby bought his E25, had a good time sailing it a few times, and then . . . all of a sudden . . . the line broke, and there went his centerboard. It currently resides somewhere at the bottom of a deep channel in Jacksonville. That was about nine months ago, so you can see how long it's taken him to recover.

My centerboard currently resides in my workroom. It had some of the expansion issues that Chris mentions. I have to move it around around on sawhorses from time to time, and I can tell you this: that damn thing is HEAVY - about 150 lbs. If your line snaps, chances are it will drop so hard that it will tear away from the pivot pin, or it will tear the pivot pin away from the underside of the boat and end up somewhere in Davy Jones' locker.

Don't mean to be all doom and gloom, but I do want to spare you some trouble.

Best,
Roscoe

davisr

Member III
Bobby,

Yea, what Chris said. Would really appreciate some pictures of the whole process. I will be reinstalling my refurbished centerboard in the not-to-distant future. Would like to see how you do it.

Adam,

Having followed Bobby's centerboard story for some time, and having just heard you mention the questionable condition of your centerboard line, I feel obliged to say that you might want to address this issue as soon as possible. If I recall the details properly, Bobby bought his E25, had a good time sailing it a few times, and then . . . all of a sudden . . . the line broke, and there went his centerboard. It currently resides somewhere at the bottom of a deep channel in Jacksonville. That was about nine months ago, so you can see how long it's taken him to recover.

My centerboard currently resides in my workroom. It had some of the expansion issues that Chris mentions. I have to move it around around on sawhorses from time to time, and I can tell you this: that damn thing is HEAVY - about 150 lbs. If your line snaps, chances are it will drop so hard that it will tear away from the pivot pin, or it will tear the pivot pin away from the underside of the boat and end up somewhere in Davy Jones' locker.

Don't mean to be all doom and gloom, but I do want to spare you some trouble.

Best,
Roscoe

Kringe

Bobby G..junior Pirate
Regarding centerboard installation

Chris:
Thanks for sending me the plans and I still have your envelope so that I can send you some loot for your efforts. Sorry for the delay. In the end I felt that the actual centerboard fabrication was a tad out of my league so I saved the money on an extremely poor man's budget and finally let Idasailor make me a new one. As luck would have it; they are having a problem with getting the high density stuff they typically use and had to construct mine from fiberglass which cost me a bit more than expected. In the end I am 984 dollars poorer with a new keel now resting in my garage. I have everything in place as far as the new pendant line and the new keel rope. I just need to have the boat pulled now and cross my fingers that the pin is still in place. With the Memorial day weekend they simply wouldn't pull my boat and put it on the hard this week so it's looking like early next week or possibly even late next week before it happens.
I have still been sailing the boat and enjoying it the whole time. Have even completely refinished the woodwork inside. Constructing, or cutting, the new panels over the benches was one of biggest challenges as the previous wood was rotted and not much use as a template. Cut rectangle templates only to find the curve afterward so started from scratch and finally got em installed. They're slightly wavy due to my superb jigsaw skills, but I can hopefully find some trim to mask my lack of carpentry skills.
Anyway...I will surely take pictures and keep an accurate description along the way. Let's just hope when it gets hauled out that everything is where it should be...cross your fingers people!

Last edited:

davisr

Member III
Bobby,

Since you mentioned that you have continued to sail your E25 without the centerboard, I'm curious to know how she has handled for you. I would think that she would be just fine on a beam or broad reach, but I'm wondering if you had any problems tacking or beating a course to windward.

Thanks,
Roscoe

adamd

Member II
My centerboard is currently down and there's no tension on the line (rope). I think there's a metal line inside also? I'm awaiting the pics to see how I can check the state of this.

My boat is in a slip now, so the board will stay down all summer until haul out.

davisr

Member III
Adam,

You can remove the mahogany 1 x 4 that is directly beneath the mast. This 1x4 serves (along with the other 1x4s) as a mast compression post of sorts. The post is hollow. Within the post is the centerboard line, which should be attached to the stainless steel pendant, which itself is attached to the centerboard. When you winch the centerboard up into the trunk you should be able to see the pendant.

If I read you correctly, you're saying that you're going to place it safe by keeping the board down at all times until haul out. Is that right? Also if I am reading you correctly, you're saying that you will change the line at the time of haul-out. That is indeed the only time that you can change this line, unless of course you're a diver or you pay a diver to do this job.

Roscoe

Kringe

Bobby G..junior Pirate
replacing the kkeel and sailing the boat without

if you need to replace the line due to no tension; my guess is the same as roscoe. Either a diver goes under and finds your pendant line in tact with block and all and runs the new line you have dropped down through the block and somehow back up into the tube or you simply need to have the boat hauled and do it then. I just ran the new line with full brand new pendant cable and block. They are laying in wait for the boat to be pulled, keel attached, and line connected to keel.
As far as sailing the boat:
It's great when the wind is behind me or blowing from the left or right. I've had very good luck truning the boat around and heading right back into the wind after a strong and fast downwind run. I've been a bit frightened a few times with extreme heeling but also realize that the keel wouldn't necessarily be the end all save all when it comes to excessive heeling. There was at least one day when the head sail was pulling us along at what i would consider and incredibly fast pace. When we decided it was time to turn; no amount of rudder effort could change our course. In the end we had to drop the Jib and turn around before we made contact with the shoreline. We were actually several hundred yards out, but the fear was real. I've had great days where the boat has been very responsive and I have had piss poor days where I get nothing but lazy results from the boat. I am under the full assumption that the keel will change this.
On another note:
I have been sleeping on the boat for the past week while the Mother-in-law has been visiting and yesterday during a thunderstorm discovered a leak coming in at the chainplate connection...booo

adamd

Member II
Adam,

You can remove the mahogany 1 x 4 that is directly beneath the mast. This 1x4 serves (along with the other 1x4s) as a mast compression post of sorts. The post is hollow. Within the post is the centerboard line, which should be attached to the stainless steel pendant, which itself is attached to the centerboard. When you winch the centerboard up into the trunk you should be able to see the pendant.

If I read you correctly, you're saying that you're going to place it safe by keeping the board down at all times until haul out. Is that right? Also if I am reading you correctly, you're saying that you will change the line at the time of haul-out. That is indeed the only time that you can change this line, unless of course you're a diver or you pay a diver to do this job.

Roscoe

Yes, that's correct. Am I ok with my assumption?

davisr

Member III
Adam,

Yea, I believe I'd do the same thing you're doing.

Bobby,

I hear what you're saying about how hard it is to tack without the centerboard when the wind is really blowing. When I purchased the boat back in October I sailed her for about 6 hours from the owner's dock near New Bern, NC to the town of Oriental. The centerboard was stuck in its trunk and I knew this before I ever started. I was just glad that it had a centerboard. At any rate, she sailed like a champ on a broad reach and then a beam reach as I made my way along the Neuse River and into the Pamlico Sound. As I drew near to Oriental it became necessary to tack. By this point the wind had picked-up to 15-18 knots and there was quite a bit of fetch over the sound. Much to my dismay, I could not get her to cross the wind no matter what I tried. I was simply being pushed across the sound - away from Oriental and closer to the lee shore (which was still a good distance away). Tired of trying one trick and other and getting a little worried about the approaching sunset, I dropped the sails and started the motor. Without the motor I would never have made it into Oriental that night. Lesson learned.

Best of luck with the mother-in-law situation. I better get off the forum and go have a few Memorial Day drinks with her and my wife out on the porch or I'll be sleeping in the boat too.

Best regards,
Roscoe

Kringe

Bobby G..junior Pirate
Sleeping on the boat and such

Mother in Law is awesome. We just have a small house and her being here is rather necessary due to some medical issues we are dealing with. It definately is stealing from my sail time, but it will be worth the cost in the end. I'd appreciate if everyone here would cross their fingers and say a prayer for my girl. Cancer is a terrible disease. I'll post a link later with some info on a cancer run I'll be doing in a while. It is for the Komen foundation that is huge regarding cancer research and such.
On a much happier note though, keel installation drawing closer as more days come to a close..;)

p.s. I don't know if there any sailing events for cancer but I sure think it'd be a great idea!

davisr

Member III
I wish you the best in these tough times Bobby. Will keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

Roscoe

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Mother in Law is awesome. We just have a small house and her being here is rather necessary due to some medical issues we are dealing with. It definately is stealing from my sail time, but it will be worth the cost in the end. I'd appreciate if everyone here would cross their fingers and say a prayer for my girl. Cancer is a terrible disease. I'll post a link later with some info on a cancer run I'll be doing in a while. It is for the Komen foundation that is huge regarding cancer research and such.
On a much happier note though, keel installation drawing closer as more days come to a close..;)

p.s. I don't know if there any sailing events for cancer but I sure think it'd be a great idea!

We have a "Sail for the Cure" annual event here, and I believe that it is held in conjunction with a similar national event. They do raise a quite a lot of money for cancer research.
http://www.sailforthecureoregon.net/

Our thoughts are with your family.
Take care,
Loren

ps: edit: a Florida link found: http://www.eboatcharters.com/ladies/index.htm

Last edited: