• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 25+ Standing Rigging Tension

Frank T

Does anyone have the tension values for the standing rigging on a 25+? I have the Loos Gauge but no clue as to what the ball park tensions for the stays and shrouds should be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Someone out there must set their own rigging up, or know what the factory set it to originally. Thanks, Frank T

Last edited:

rssailor

E 25+ Rig tension

Frank,
I own a 1979 model that I sail here on SF Bay. Don't remember what rig tension I am running at the moment. Am going to put more tension on the rig tommorow before the race on Saturday. Will let you know what I am running. Be aware that I have a Harken MK III unit 00AL up front and a 24:1 adjustable backstay. My shrouds are all within the last three years except the mid lowers, which I am going to replace in the spring.
Is your boat an inboard or outboard model and which motor do you have? Also what year is your boat? Do you have a trailer? Ryan

Frank T

25+ rig tension

Ryan, My "new to me" 25+ is a 1981 model with the 15 hp OMC inboard. The motor was not running when I got it and after a lot of time and effort with other minor problems, I traced the major problem to the exhaust hose from the motor to the muffler. A piece of the inner liner was delaminated and would intermittantly flap over and back pressure would kill the engine. New hose-no problems! I don't trailer but rather keep it on the Chesapeak at Chestertown, MD. My rigging checked out as" no apparent problems, appears servicible" but age is unknown. I plan to replace soon.The boat has wheel steering - Edson - but the rudder has play at the lower bearing. I plan to do an epoxy/graphite build up in that area this spring. Also a new main sail is in the plan for next year. Love the boat and really enjoy the time on the water. 36 degrees this morning - boat on the hard- lot to be said for the all year sailing areas! Maybe someday! Thanks for the reply- Frank

Seth

Sustaining Partner
RIg tuning

Assuming you have a Loos gauge Model B, I would start with the Headstay turnbuckle 3/4" open (so that you have most of the available mast rake), then set the uppers to about 24 units, the fwd. lowers around 20 units, and the aft lowers around 16-18. It is VERY important that the aft lowers be looser than the fwd. lowers! You DON"T want reverse bend in the rig.

This is a reasonable setting for 5-12 knots of wind. For heavy air you can go as high as 28-29 units on the uppers, and 24 ish on the fwd lowers, 20 ish on tha aft lowers. If you don't have a backstay adjuster, I would set it up as tight as I can get it and leave it.

Once you have done this, look at your mainsail when trimmed up for upwind sailing. It should be fairly flat. If you feel it is too deep, tighten the fwd. lowers and backstay (if you can), and ease the aft. lowers some more.

Once you are in the ballpark feel free to check with me for fine tiuning tips.

Good times!

S

rssailor

E-25+

Interesting that you have wheel steering, must have been an expensive upgrade by a PO. There are no rudder bearings on my boat, that I am aware of anyway. Rudder slides down a PVC tube that is glassed to the boat. Good luck and have lots of fun with the boat. Check out you mast base and make sure it is not caving in around the edges from rig compression. Had this problem with my boat due to the notch in the front of the mast that was there for the old factory mast raising system. Ryan

Frank T

25+ Rig Tension

:egrin: Thanks for the info in your replies. I do appreciate the help. I am gathering this info for the spring when I can open the wrappings and get her ready for the water. Thanks again !! Frank T - in the cold in the East!