• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-25 sucesfull mast raising

wolly bugger

Member II
I bought the boat a couple of weeks ago, the previous owner had never taken the mast down, but I had to for transportation. I read and reread the booklet about mast raising as well as many posts from this website. Everything seemed easy and made sense except those boom guys :confused:. It all went well for the first 2/3, but in the last seconds, the boom went sideways, the mast went down, my friend went running and my first thought was that I just bought a sailboat without a mast! (I don't want to find out how much it will cost to have a mast shipped to Alaska) I was lucky that the only things that broke were the 4 bolts that hold the tabernacle to the mast step and an inch off of the corner of the forward hatch.

A couple days ago I finally got the guts to raise my mast. I built a crutch to support the mast as high as I could lift it from the back of my truck. I figured that will take care of the worst part of the process. Then I made sure the boom guys were tight, and I started grinding at the jib halyard. My strongest friend was positioned, ready to catch the mast. In the end, he actually wasn't needed much, but I think it is nice to have somebody there to take a few pound off the whole system and keep it going up straight. Taking it down should be just as easy now that I know how it works. I will do in a couple of days.

Now here is my question. I learned to sail on a boat that have a loose footed main sail so the boom thing is new to me. The whole thing seems to work fine, but I'm not sure how to attach the clew (outhaul) to the boom. (see the attached picture) It will make sense to use one of those two sheaves but they are not far enough aft. That only leaves the clam cleat, but I'm not sure how much I trust that.

Attachments

• IMG_2762.jpg
    IMG_2762.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2745.jpg
    IMG_2745.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 110

TwistedLogic

Member II
I suspect that the two cheek blocks are for reefing, not for an outhaul.
I think you are missing a small block with a becket attached to the clew and a small block attached to the small hole in the top of the aft boom casting. Your outhaul line would be secured to the becket, run aft to the block, back to the clew and be secured at the cam cleat. This will give you the mechanical advantage you need, and the proper location to adjust the outhaul.
That is my suspicion, for what it is worth. :egrin:

sleather

Sustaining Member
A couple days ago I finally got the guts to raise my mast. I built a crutch to support the mast as high as I could lift it from the back of my truck. I figured that will take care of the worst part of the process. Then I made sure the boom guys were tight, and I started grinding at the jib halyard. My strongest friend was positioned, ready to catch the mast. In the end, he actually wasn't needed much, but I think it is nice to have somebody there to take a few pound off the whole system and keep it going up straight. Taking it down should be just as easy now that I know how it works. I will do in a couple of days.

I've always done mine w/ just 2 people, haven't figured out the boom & guy system yet. I will be exploring the "booster" that you built for the intial lift, attached to the trailer winch post. Be sure to tape the turnbuckles so they don't bind in the process. On the E23 you also have to back-off(slacken) the turnbuckles or serious things will happen. Take some pictures of the process.!!!

Congrats on the new ride! :egrin:

I suspect that the two cheek blocks are for reefing, not for an outhaul.
I think you are missing a small block with a becket attached to the clew and a small block attached to the small hole in the top of the aft boom casting. Your outhaul line would be secured to the becket, run aft to the block, back to the clew and be secured at the cam cleat. This will give you the mechanical advantage you need, and the proper location to adjust the outhaul.
That is my suspicion, for what it is worth. :egrin:
Ditto, that's the way my E23 is set up w/ a Harken bullet block. I eliminated the clew block and run the line thru the clew cringle, then back to the cleat.

wolly bugger

Member II
I've always done mine w/ just 2 people, haven't figured out the boom & guy system yet.

How do you do that? Do you have the second person at the boom or mast? With the mast down, I just found a place to attach a line as tight as I could between the boom and chain plate.

I will be exploring the "booster" that you built for the intial lift, attached to the trailer winch post.
If you need more pictures, let me know, but anything will work.

Ditto, that's the way my E23 is set up w/ a Harken bullet block. I eliminated the clew block and run the line thru the clew cringle, then back to the cleat.
Do you have any pictures of your set up? I think the 23 and 25 are very similar.

Ship609

Mast raising procedure for E25 c/b (1973)

Greetings from Pensacola. Our Sea Scout ship (Ship 609) has just received a 1973 E-25 with double axle trailer. I've read through the thread about raising the mast, but must fess up to not understanding the process. Our donated boat is on it's trailer, with the mast and boom resting comfortably nearby. We're experienced sailors, but this is our 1st trailerable boat.
thanks,
Mark Wenzel
Sea Scout Ship 609
Pensacola, FL

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Mark~

What is deceptive is that the mast raising system only works if you have a hinged mast. This was a factory option on E25's. So if your mast base looks like the picture below, its not that simple. I have attached a video from youtube that inspired my mast raising system. It is super super simple and easy and effortless. I built one for less than $40 and it stows perfectly on my trailer too. Any questions I will be more than happy to help/talk you thru it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpFhnYQmRYs

Attachments

• boat pictures 079.jpg
    boat pictures 079.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Mast Pictures 012.jpg
    Mast Pictures 012.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Mast Pictures 014.jpg
    Mast Pictures 014.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

bayhoss

Member III
Attaching the clew/outhaul

In reference to your outhaul problem, here's one solution. I had a Catalina 25 that the PO rigged with a racing style outhaul. It worked very well and could be adjusted in almost any kind of air.
1. attach your outhaul line to one side of the boom.
2. attach a double pulley (sheaves side by side) to the clew of the sail.
3. attach a single pulley to the tail of the boom.
4. put a cleat on the opposite side of the boom from the orginal point of attachment. The more aft the better.

Start with the attachment (1) and go thru the first sheave of the double pulley, then to the pulley at the aft end of the boom, then to the other sheave on the double, then to a cleat at the boom end. It looks better than it sounds, and works very well. Hope this helps.
Frank
E28 "Valinor"

wolly bugger

Member II
mast raising

Mark,

I do have the hinge mast and got the process down pretty good at this point. If you have a hinge mast let me know and I'll explain it in more detail. Having the mast down will make it a lot easier for the first time as you have to figure out the boom guy length which is tight when the mast is down.
I try to post earlier today but it did not work, they ask me to sign up to tell me that I already did and lost all my reply.

Bayhoss. Thank for the outhaul system, I already did something similar but the line attach to a becket on the pulley first and then the rest is about the same.

Attachments

• IMG_2749.jpg
    IMG_2749.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 749

907Juice

Continuously learning
thanks! I just realized we had another 25 in the area. i'm pulling my boat for some bottom work and other maintenance items. I need to step my mast and wanted to contact him to get any tricks or gems...

davisr

Member III
thanks! I just realized we had another 25 in the area. i'm pulling my boat for some bottom work and other maintenance items. I need to step my mast and wanted to contact him to get any tricks or gems...

attachment.php

This article might be of some assistance to you.

Roscoe

http://www.ericson25.com/2015/08/spars-mast-stepping-tutorial.html

Attachments

• 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 302

907Juice

Continuously learning
Awesome!

Thanks guys! I'm heading to the boat to do some recon tomorrow. I'll take some pics of the mast base and go from there. I've gotten in touch with some other 25 and 25 plus owners on this site and hopefully we can figure it out between us.

As a side note, anyone have any idea of total weight of the 25 plus? I can only find the displacement and ballast weight.

And by the way... thanks for the link. Aside from this site, the Oystercatcher is my other go to site. I know the boats are different but Roscoe has done some good work for general ideas and tips.

Last edited: