• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E -26 m-12 Universal stalling out and hopeful resolution of issue

Breeze26

I am a 20+ year owner of Breeze, a 1988 Ericson 26 with the classic Universal m-12 motor on Presque Isle Bay, Lake Erie. The motor has worked well over the years, with some minor repairs. This spring, in preparation for launching, I could not her to start. Replaced both fuel filters and still could not get her to go. I did notice my electric Fawcett fuel pump (three years old) seemed to be working intermittently, and upon the advice of a very experienced mechanic/rigger (who has gorgeous old Cape Dory), I replaced the fuel pump again. I got Breeze started on the cradle and launched in mid May and it seemed to run ok. However, about six weeks later, it kept quitting, stalling out. The first time it happened, I was able to get it going again enough to get back to our slip, but only by using a lot of throttle. Subsequently at the slip, I could get it to to run, but after it warmed up it would stall at idle and when I heard it stalling, I would advance the throttle, and even that would not always prevent the engine. I started to look for a diesel mechanic. In Erie, there are very few marine diesel mechanics and it took weeks to find someone. I finally did find a business that said they would help me. The owner came down and I got the motor going for him. He put his heat sensor on the cylinders and said one of them was running at 145 degrees and the other was like 90. He said I needed a new injector. Using the advice of people on the forums here I was able get one through a local Kubota dealer (still $200). More delays, but ultimately, their mechanic replaced the injector, bled the system and got it going. Unfortunately I was not there when he did the work. I say unfortunate, because I long suspected that fuel may have been the primary culprit and was not able to discuss this with him. In the past, my wife and I have not used the boat extensively, primarily for day sails and at most we used maybe three gallons of diesel a season. So, I took my wife on the boat and it quit shortly after leaving the marina. Got it going again, but was not able to get back in the slip and needed a short tow. Very bad day!!

I pulled the racor filter(R24S), dumping its fuel into a container and took both up to the repair shop and luckily ran into the mechanic. He took one look at the filter and examined the fuel I brought, and we agreed the fuel didn't even smell like diesel and had already fouled the filter. So, he got all the fuel pumped out of the tank and said he pulled up lots of gunk from the bottom. After replacing both filters again and bleeding the engine, we got it going again. I put a total of six gallons in the 15 gallon tank. He advised using Sta-bil every time new fuel is put in and also a dose for winterizing. He also said not to fill the tank because, with my small amount of seasonal consumption, I would end up again with ancient fuel. We've had the boat out several times now and so far, so good.

Any comments, discussion about not filling the tank, etc. would certainly be appreciated. I hope my experience will be helpful to others here.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
It may be that you've solved the problem.

Should it crop up again, one thing you can do to test the tank is to bypass the tank entirely by getting a small plastic jerry can and routing your fuel intake hose directly into it. If the problem goes away then you know it is something in your main tank that is causing it.

Breeze26

My fuel line is copper from the tank to the racor filter so some replumbing would be in order. My mechanic said he thinks for a lot of people, a smaller, easily removable plastic fuel tank would make sense. I don't know.
Steve Hall
Erie, PA

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
My fuel line is copper from the tank to the racor filter so some replumbing would be in order. My mechanic said he thinks for a lot of people, a smaller, easily removable plastic fuel tank would make sense. I don't know.
Steve Hall
Erie, PA
Well, if you are troubleshooting a potential fuel problem you could bypass both the fuel tank and the Racor and just plumb the small day tank directly to your lift pump. You will have (presumably) known clean fuel in that day tank, so you could certainly get by without the additional Racor filter. (You still have the on-engine filter in any case.)

If the problem were to go away, then that would still narrow down the problem, though it could be the Racor as well as the tank.

Personally, I dislike the Racor R24S filter. They can develop cracks in the housing that can introduce air, they are a pain to change, and the filter cartridges are expensive. I far prefer the Racor 500. Though initially more expensive, they are far more robustly built, do a better job of filtering and water separating, and use less expensive filter elements. Should you ever have to change one in a seaway, you'll be happy you made the switch.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Steve, I would strongly advise going with Alan's plan. I changed out the old factory copper fuel line to the engine and later replaced the old-style air-leak-prone Racor. Nowadays we have a Racor 500, with rerouted fuel supply and return (both new) reinforced hoses. I have some pix in my blog, altho different interior geography than other EY models; but the general goal is the same.

One other point: if your Universal diesel still has the OEM wiring harness, bypass the wire to the Facet lift pump. When the resistance in the old "trailer connectors" builds up over the decades, 12.5 at the battery can drop to 11.0 at the electric pump. That happened to me, before I decided to replace the harness, and then looked over all of the other upgrades I needed ..... and replaced the whole drive train with a new Betamarine.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
discussion about not filling the tank, etc.

I don't top off my tank unless necessary, and run it half full most of the time, winter and summer.

Condensation may or may not potentially occur, depending on climate, luck, strong opinion or merely the difficulty in measuring it. We don't get many reports here of people discovering condensation water in their diesel tanks. And we're not airplane owners, who religiously check for water by testing each tank before every flight.

So, yeah. Other things to worry about.

Yes, you could perform eight years worth of tests on the question, but then you would be R.C. Collins, the famous Maine Sail, and even his tests are--well, what was it Capt. Sparrow said about the Pirates' Code?

"More like what you'd call guidelines, than an actual rule."

https://marinehowto.com/does-an-empty-marine-fuel-tank-condensate/

Last edited: