• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-27 / Atomic 4 Engine Control Panel

timday5

Member II
On my new (to me) 1976 E-27 no longer has readable labels (faded teak / no remaining paint). There is a ammeter, temp gauge, ignition keyhole, starter button, and choke - got those figured out, but there is also a toggle switch. Any ideas as to what that is, before I go tracing / reading out the wiring?

The switch seems to have no impact on how the motor runs (and it runs like a top, btw).

jkm

Member III
As usual Nate is right on the mark.

Toggle turns on the light bulbs in each of the gauges.

If you've ever seen Smith gauges in a British Sports Car=these gauges are set up exactly the same.

I put a waterproof "outlet" in my panel for GPS, spot light etc. Has been very handy.

My A4 runs like a top too- I think it's a great engine.

John

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Are you sure it isn't a switch for the blower? My 32 has a toggle switch for the blower next to the ignition key and other engine controls (and another switch in series with it at the main panel).

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
A blower switch should be a fully sealed switch as not to create an open spark when transferred. I guess that would get rid of the gas fumes real quick. Check your filler tube from the deck plate to gas tank. My tube had a cut at the top of the tank neck, NOT GOOD.

rgoff

Member III
My '73 E27 has the original electrical panel and there are several switches in a vertical line above the gauges. One is for the blower. The panel is mounted above the sink, facing the ladder.

Sounds like maybe your panel was changed from stock. If you only have one switch, how do you turn on nav lights, etc.?

timday5

Member II
My '73 E27 has the original electrical panel and there are several switches in a vertical line above the gauges. One is for the blower. The panel is mounted above the sink, facing the ladder.

Sounds like maybe your panel was changed from stock. If you only have one switch, how do you turn on nav lights, etc.?

I haven't got the nav lights working yet. I think you're talking about the electrical panel, which is located in the same place as yours (facing the ladder above the galley sink). I was referring to the inboard engine instrument panel, which is back along the lower port side, facing the helmsman's position. There's just one switch there.

So far I have noticed no difference in function of the boat with regard to switch position... but I do have to replace all the lightbulbs, etc.

Just took her out sailing for the first time today... sweet.

dave_g

Member II
On my '71 E-29, this switch is for the blower. It makes sense to puit a blower switch there (next to the ignition/starting switch), since you want to run the blower prior to starting the A4.

rgoff

Member III
Tim,

FYI my E27 doesn't have any switches/gauges in the cockpit or elsewhere in the cabin other than electrical panel. Starts by turning the ignition key. Only the shifter and throttle levers in the cockpit.

I'm tiller steered though. Maybe you're wheel steered, which would explain extra panel.

Enjoy your boat.

BobB

Member II
Tim,

FYI my E27 doesn't have any switches/gauges in the cockpit or elsewhere in the cabin other than electrical panel. Starts by turning the ignition key. Only the shifter and throttle levers in the cockpit.

I'm tiller steered though. Maybe you're wheel steered, which would explain extra panel.

Enjoy your boat.

My 74 E27, also tiller steering, has the same panel configuration as your's. I'm always quite amazed at the differences in E27s, there must have been 6 or so variations on the general theme.