• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-27 Barlow winch questions

joe-fran

Member II
I have a set of Barlow Mark 1 self tailing winches on my E27.

2 questions.

Question 1. I think that the winches are mounted wrong. On the port winche the line lifter is pointed at the 9 o'clock postion and the starboard winch line lifter is pointed to the 3 o'clock position. It seems to me that the port side line lifter should be at the 6 oclock position and the starboard lifter should be at the 12 position. This would allow for the sheet to lead inside the line jaw for almost 250 degrees and lead nicely into the cockpit. Am I missing something:confused: I should have taken pictures and will do so this weekend if helpful.

Question 2. How do I get the winches off for cleaning and possibly repositioning them if I am right about question 1. There are 2 metric allen nuts on the top of the line lifter and there is a hex type fitting at the base of where the winch handle inserts.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Last edited:

Guy Stevens

Take a photo of the top

Take a photo of the top of the winch. Then I can send you a break out drawing of the winch, should answer all of these questions.

Guy
:)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Stripper direction

I have often been told that the line stripper should point at the winch user, sort of. This would presume that there is a "normal" direction or quadrant for location of this person.

Guy, does that sound familiar?

Anyway, that's how I keep Lewmar tops oriented after reassembling after their once-a-millenium disassembly and cleaning. :rolleyes:

Best,
Loren