• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-27 Fuel tank

Desiderata

Member II
While recently installing a new sending unit for my '79 E-27's fuel gauge, I accidentally dropped one of the screws from the circular plate holding it to the tank INTO the tank. It goes without saying that it would be a good idea to pull the tank and rinse it out. Although it appears to be the original tank, with "E-27" scratched into the aluminum plate on the tank, it appears impossible to wrestle the thing out thru the lazzarrette opening. Is this even wholly necessary?

Mike

Emerald

Couple thoughts

1) used to own an E-27 and have a good friend with one. Removing the gas tank in tact from either of our boats was impossible (did it on my friends and had to cut it).

2) These tanks have somewhat of a triangular cross section making a nice corner down low that the screw will go sit down in. It should be too heavy and too low to get sucked up by the fuel pick-up.

3) You can now mess with guests by telling them if they listen closely, they can hear someone taping in the fuel tank trying to get out - OK, don't think it will really make any audible noise rolling around in there, but it IS a Monday :egrin:

Desiderata

Member II
Delightful! Thanks Emerald. I'm happy about #2 on your reply. The tank will stay right where it is. The only bad thing about all this is I lost a bet to my wife who agreed the tank was nearly impossible to remove unscathed, while I proclaimed "No way, I'LL get that tank out, no problem"...
Thanks again

Emerald

The only bad thing about all this is I lost a bet to my wife

You must be a newly wed - the bad thing would have been to prove her wrong :devil:

and now my wife chimes that if you're not a newly wed, you've hit that point where.... :devil: :devil:

Last edited:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
pay up

You might pump out the fuel and use a flashlight to shine in the tank and look at the bottom under the sending unit. I will attach a picture of the section I cut off my tank to get it out of the locker along with the hole and crud pointed out. My entire fuel system carb included were full of a grey powder from the oxidation.

As for the bet go ahead and let your wife have her way with you after all you lost.

Attachments

• tank 001 text.JPG
    tank 001 text.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 93

Desiderata

Member II
Yikes

Thanks Randy,

Wow, that photo sends me back to worrysome thoughts regarding my tank. I speculate that the 1/8 hole in your tank was what forced you to extract the tank regardless of the gunk in it (?) I may well take your advice and siphon the tank dry and take a hard look with a powerful flashlight. The word carburetor makes me curious if yours was an Atomic 4 gasoline engine. Folks I've talked to suggest the Yanmar diesel in my boat may be less likely to pick up the screw, at worse it may wind up in the filter.(?) I know NOTHING about diesels (yet...) so no more betting....
Many thanks for your input.:egrin:
Mike