• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-27 Owners

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Does your E27 have 1 or 2 access hatches for the bildge. The PO installed a laminate flooring revealing only one hatch under the companionway stairs. However, I recently noticed a "soft" spot just aft of the bulkhead. Yesterday I saw a photo of another E27 showing access hatch in this location. Unfortunately every other photo I could find has some kind of floor covering that hides the access hatch(s). It would make sense to have 2, especially to run the wiring that goes up to the mast. If there are 2, then I am nervous as to why it is covered up!

Thanks

Last edited:
I have an E-27, 1973 model, and it has two accesses to the bilge, one right at the bottom of the companionway ladder and the other just aft of the main bulkhead and compression post.

Morgan Stinemetz
Hull #372

toddbrsd

Hmmm.

Thanks Morgan. I guess I will get the x-acto and cut out the laminate.

Last edited:

rgoff

Member III
Also got a '73 with the 2nd opening just aft the head bulkhead. The knotmeter sender (which I no longer use) is accessed there.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I as well have the two access hatches on my 1973 E-27. Also The knotmeter sender is accessed there. I think it would be a little difficult to run the wiring up to the mast with out it, but not impossible.

toddbrsd

Thanks for Confirmation

I am hoping that the PO just got lazy knowing that he was going to sell the boat and not that he was trying to hide anything. Here is a pic as it is today, in case you were curious. The boat does have water damage as you can see at the v-berth.

Thanks

Attachments

• 25808_1296448865316_1653195924_771399_673061_n.jpg
    25808_1296448865316_1653195924_771399_673061_n.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Todd,

I wouldn't cut out the floor until you need to. There aren't too many things you can do to your boat that will necessitate access to that area.

toddbrsd

Makes Sense

Good thought Mark. It will probably go down a bit on my list of "Things to do". Should not be that big of a deal, once needed, since it is just strips of vinyl. Fortunately the PO left the remaining unused strips in the slip locker.

Thanks

toddbrsd

Like I surmised in an early post, it facilitates running the wiring up the compression post to the mast. If not for any other reason, that is worth it alone. Probably makes it easier to clean the gunk that seems to form in the bilge as well.

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Sorry no, not handy. I would have to remove my carpet and table to get at it. It was installed just up and under a bit from the access hole on the starboard side. To be honest with you I removed the knotmeter many years ago because it was faulty. I just use the GPS for speed info now.

Dave Hussey

Member III
Hey Todd,
does your table connect to the starboard bunk and create a double bed? I see brackets on the bunk, and the table looks long enough...that is a neat idea.

toddbrsd

Dave,

No the table does not double as a bed. The PO kept a "plank" under the cushion that would attach to the brackets that you see. On the port side of the plank is a place to put 3 legs that slip into dowel holes. I don't really care for that set up because when not in use, the plank raises the cushion above the pieces of wood trim that are supposed to keep the cushion in place.

I just saw a picture of another E27 that had the plank permenantly hinged to the side of the settee. It appears that the plank would then be raised and I would assume legs inserted similarly.

But you got me thinking with the table idea!!

agraziano23

Member II
transducer location

Here is a picture of my forward hatch. Bow is on right side of picture. my speed log sender is on the port side. an emergency plug is kept in there just in case. previous owner cut out part pf the edge to fit sender.

Not to hijack the thread but, can I add a sender for the depth sounder across from it in the starboard side. not a through hull sender just the type that gets epoxied to the hull. seems like a good level spot for it although the current depth sender is in the hull below the starboard settee (seems like a though hull)

Frwd_hatch.jpg