• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-27 spreader brackets

Jon Libby

Member II
I'm getting ready to have some work done on the mast, and want to make new brackets for my speaders. The old one's we know the problems with them. So my question to all of you is I remember some photos of brackets that someone had made. I beleive they where fttp file at sailnet. shhhh.

Does anybody remember them, know where to find them, or have them. I'd Like to take them to my welding shop where some other work is being done. Also if theycome up with a good fix is anybody else interested in them. I know the other e-27 near me wants a pair too.

Takes in advance all, you've help with may other projects with out me saying a peep.

jon
Agapee

Last edited:

Bob in Va

Member III
spreader base castings

Just as a side note, I have the mast down on my E-23 and the spreader bases are removed. I had hoped to have some more cast, but the local expert gave me a quote of $750 to make the patterns necessary for casting. So it looks like stainless straps with welded-on stubs to accept the spreaders will be the way to go. Not sure what models are interchangable, but my mast is 6.5" X 3.25".

Glyn Judson

Bob, I've had good luck in the past with the Port Townsend Foundry in Port Townsend WA casting parts from patterns I've sent them. One item comes to mind. I had a pair of 8" anodized aluminum midship cleats, one of which I sent them. I asked for a pair of the same cleat in bronze. The quote came back at less than a new Sheaffer aluminum one and that included the drilling, machining and polishing. They cast in aluminum too so you might want to give them a try. Contact Pete there at: 360.385.6425 or via their email shown on their web site: http://www.porttownsendfoundry.com. Good luck, Glyn

Walter Pearson

Member III
Jon,
I made some brackets after one of the original cast bracket failed. I did have a picture in the old sailnet ftp site which I don't think is accessible anymore. I have CAD drawings and other assembly information if you are interested. I also had Tops In Quality quote on the brackets. The last person I know that had some custom made brackets was Philip Kropf. I think they were somewhat different from my design, but he has not sent me photos yet. Let me know if you want more information.

Attachments

• Spreader Brkt.jpg
    Spreader Brkt.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 352

Jon Libby

Member II
Walter,
Excellant, thats the photo I was looking for, thank you so much. Timing is everything, I'm dropping the mast off tomorrow. I'm sure he can use that photo to get started.

Thanks again
Jon

Jon Libby

Member II
Mast is in the shop and one other E-27 at mooring has asked to have a set of brackets made for his boat. I know this is a much talked about problem. Is anybody else in need of brackets? I have not yet approved the design from my shop, but would be glad to send photos and palce an order. He is also making 2 sets of plates to fill in the sail slug opening.

Jon

Art Mullinax

Member III
Other options?

I know we want to keep our E boats "all E boats" but wouldn't a spreader bracket from a Catalina, Hunter, Cal, Etc. work just as well and be a lot cheaper than having one cast? Or, is there something I'm missing? After all, isn't a spreader bracket just a means to attach a spreader to the mast??

Seth

Sustaining Partner
In theory

The problem you might have is that all spreaders are not created equal. On some boats, Macgregors, Aquarius, etc,, they are simple aluminum tubes. On most of the E-boats, the speader has an airfoill shape, so the bracket must accept the profile shape of the spreader. Attaching it to the mast is the easy part, and could be considered "generic", but the brackets need to fit the spreaders, so it is rarely a simple off the shelf item.

Okay?

S

Art Mullinax

Member III
I see,

Thanks for reeling me back in Seth. I'm still in the age of wooden spreaders. Mine are 1x4 teak, tapered down to 2" at the shrouds. The brackets are much simpler.

marid22

Sail Slug Plates

Can you tell me what he is charging for the sail slug plates? We had a guy local to the marina cut some for us (after one of the ones we had decided to go for a swim!), but he did a terrible job. I would love to have some really well cut and fitted plates (like the old ones, sigh).