• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-27 Spreaders

Just purchased an E-27. She's on a trailer so will be doing maintenance and replacements this winter. Snow permitting.
I will be trying to do things economically as possible while attending to necessities first.
One thing that is jumping out at me are the spreaders. Looks like original bracket was broken and replaced by possibly a Dwyer?
Not sure why pieces of original bracket were left on but at the very least they are ugly. Also considering hinging the mast as she is on a trailer.
Not a boat I want to trailer every weekend but would be nice to make a few "out of the area" trips and hinging would make things a bit easier.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG-3792(1).jpg
    IMG-3792(1).jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-3793(1).jpg
    IMG-3793(1).jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 26

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Spreader bracket issues seem to be a thing with 27's:

I don't know much about hinge-ing a mast, but I would imagine that would leave you with a fairly long spar sticking out behind your trailer, no?

The "hinge" is actually a pin. You remove both pins and completely remove the mast and lay it on deck or in my case across the bow and stern pulpit for trailering.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Looks like the PO kept the original spreaders and part of the original cast aluminum mast brackets. The present brackets do look like they're possibly Dwyer in origin. On my former 27 I used a mast raising system based on that described in the original 27 manual. I used a Dwyer hinged mast base. On my 28/2 I used the largest hinged mast base available from Ballenger as self raising and lowering the 40ft. mast is right on the edge of being done safely.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Hans,

You can get all the parts to repair/upgrade your spreader setup and tabernacling capability from Ballenger in Watsonville CA. I used them to do just that on my E27. Home Port being Santa Cruz CA and at one point having a North Harbor slip (bridge to transit) made a hinged mast necessary. I can lower the mast by hand (no winch), it's probably on the edge of safe but something I did twice a day when I went sailing from the North Harbor. The spreader parts photo below are from one of the members here (Doug) that also upgraded his spreaders with Ballenger parts.

Attachments

• mast down.JPG
    mast down.JPG
    356.3 KB · Views: 17
  • dougs spreaders.jpg
    dougs spreaders.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 20

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Yes, get the spreaders and thru bar from Ballenger. Takes some custom cutting of the spreaders to match the mast profile and you have to make a cutout for the thru-bar, but its pretty easy although time consuming. Take it slow and file to fit. Don't forget to round the corners of the rectanguler thru-bar cutouts in the mast. I had some damage to the mast from the old spreader bracket so Ballengers made up some repair plates, which you may not need. Photos and description here:https://plasticclassicforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4431&start=150

BTW the boat is still actively sailed (not by me but its moored 2 slips over) and the repair is holding perfectly 10 years on. Good luck with the project!