• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-27 window leaks

Bill Hearsey

I am sure I saw a listing for replacement fixed window gaskets but I do not seem to be able to find it on search. Does any one remember where it was available. May be am just having a senior moment (far to young for that). I have found the tape for the frame to cabin seal, but not the glass to frame seal. I do not really want to go to a plastic window, but would rather stick with the original look. Thanks for any help.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
What year is your boat? I am the source, for 70s vintage. I had several hundred feet of it made up in bulk for quite a few Ericson owners, and have some left over.
Contact me at harrisgareth@mmode.com with exactly how much you need. The large ports take 60", the smaller 30". It runs $1.25/ft.
I will be leaving the country fairly imminently, so need to hear from you in the next week.
Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

RicoPaolino

Member II
Bill
I posted this in a new thread but here is the info....

Hi

I just have ordered a bunch of rubber parts for my E-27 from Wefco Rubber and I would like to share some information with you all.

The parts are the window channel, window frame filler and rub rail.

Window channel - Die Number 2154 - 2.00 per foot
Window Filler - Die Number 1256 - 2.00 per foot
Rub Rail - Die Numer 4107 - 2.75 per foot

Their address is wefcorubber.com

I Hope some of my leaky window and chalky rub rail problems are behind me!

simdim

Member II
RicoPaolino,
Could you share how the seal replacement project went? I had discovers, to my dismay, that ALL 4 windows on my E-29 went out this weekend ... Is there a different method of sealing up the windows short of replacing them with Plexiglas?

Cheers,

RicoPaolino

Member II
Hi there....

Boy that was a while ago.... What I did was replace the gasket that holds the glass in the frame. In one of my other posts I had a number of the mold and where to get it from. I'll have to find that again. Anyway you have to take out the windows. Drill out the rivets at the frame seam install the new gasket and replace the glass. Important info is to keep the seam of the frame and the seam of the gasket not alinged. Then foam strip the porthole assembly and bolt it back to the boat.

Careful don't strip the fastners. Don't over bend the frames. It took me 3 times to figgure out how to replace the gaskets correctly. If you break any part.....you are doing the plexiglas.

--Rico

simdim

Member II
Rico,
Thank you for the tips. I would really like to avoid going to plastic ...
I had emailed Wefco to see if the parts you had mentioned are still available. And if yes - one window per weekend - since no matter what other (higher ranking) crew members say - she is a sail boat not a project boat :)

Cheers,

RicoPaolino

Member II
At lunch I remembered a few things.......

Get a piece of glass, plexi or wood the same thickness as the ports glass, sorr forgot the size. get some rubber cement to glue the gasket together on the extra glass or plexi. Cut the rubber somewhat smaller than the glass so that you have to stretch it on the glass a bit ( not much stretch). Place the gasket seam on the top of the port so water does not leak into it.

Dish Soap and water are you friend getting it back in frame.

If I remember more I'll let you know.....

tenders

Innocent Bystander
You might also do a search for "butyl" to get some info on the magic of butyl tape. You wouldn't use it to seal the window into the frame but for sealing the frame against the hull there's nothing better...I bought four rolls of the stuff a year ago and am finding all kinds of uses for it. Haven't been disappointed in it yet.

simdim

Member II
Got reply from Wefco - all parts are still available. $2/ft 25 ft minimum order - if anyone planning to do the project we can split the cost - I doubt it will take more then 12 ft to complete the project - I could be wrong thou (had happened before :) )

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Can you get Wefco to send you an image (.jpg or .pdf) of the cross section profile of those part numbers? I would like to compare the gasket material for the glass to what is in my windows now.

Also can you have Wefco tell you what material the window gaskets are made of; EPDM, neoprene, etc. (Their website mentions EPDM for hatch gaskets but they show no products for window gaskets.)

simdim

Member II
Mark,
Here is what I got from Wefco

Attachments

• Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 149
  • Top-1.jpg
    Top-1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 137

Joe

Member II
I found that the Frame of the portlights on my E25 differed from the description in the owner's manual. I attach a sketch in case it is useful to anyone else. The gasket surrounding the glass is similar to Wefco 2154 but mine was asymmetrical, as shown. Instead, a bead of silicone was used toward the outside (the bead was very well done: at first I was convinced it must also be a gasket). I also attach a small picture of the original gasket (a bit blurred).

The internal gasket (similar to Wefco 1256) is installed for cosmetic purposes only.

Attachments

• portlight.jpg
    portlight.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 240
  • 2154.jpg
    2154.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 330

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Here is another place I found that has glazing gasket:

http://www.dkhardware.com/product-3...32-metal-opening-for-3-16-glass-100-roll.html

Not sure if this is the same stuff or will fit; looks like it might. The measurements I took from my window frame are channel width almost 11/32" and a channel depth of 13/32".

The gasket I removed from the window looks like the profile in the picture Joe posted, but it is black rubber or vinyl. I wonder if one of the "lips" on the edge was cut off for some reason?

I was thinking of doing something similar to Joe's illustration and using Corning 795 sealant. But the specs say it is not compatible with EPDM rubber...