• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 27 wiring to starboard?

barnaclebob

I am on to the rewire of the Ruthie B (E27#31) I have made peace with running the cabin light wiring forward from the panel compartment around the bow and back to lights for the head and the starboard salon. I can't figure out how to get to the starboard compartment next to the companionway. I see a channel in the bottom outboard corner, but ignorant where it goes. I have mounted the batteries in the engine bay.

Any guidance much appreciated!

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I am on to the rewire of the Ruthie B (E27#31) I have made peace with running the cabin light wiring forward from the panel compartment around the bow and back to lights for the head and the starboard salon. I can't figure out how to get to the starboard compartment next to the companionway. I see a channel in the bottom outboard corner, but ignorant where it goes. I have mounted the batteries in the engine bay.

Any guidance much appreciated!
Did you remove old existing wire that went where you want to put new wire?

Do you have pictures of your problem?

Gaviate

Member III
Well if you're talking about opening compartment on starboard which mirrors compartment on port above sink then I will share that my wire loom travels from staroard side channel atop the tafg (there are 2 layers of fiberglass, the outer hull or cockpit seat in this case, and the interior finish layer) the wire runs inbetween these layers. If you've already pulled the old wire then you can use a fish tape to pull new through as you wont be able to simply feed it in this area.

Sailingfun

Member III
Wire runs between both plastic hulls (external and internal). I found on mine wires go all around the engine bay to go up over the bulkhead separating the kitchen area all the way to the panel. I feel is not a very good design. Too much wire going here and there.
Same way, the light forward loop was replaced on mine for 2 legs, one starboard, other, port, ended one at forwarding cabin, second at the head.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you wonder if there was a reason for the routing, EY (at least in the 80's) was trying to follow 'best practices' and avoid routing wiring thru the bilge. I have seen an O'Day and a Catalina from the late 70's with major wire bundles that went thru the damp/wet bilge areas -- expedient, but a bad idea. :(

My previous 26 footer was not an Ericson, but did have an internal frp liner, and all of the factory wiring was routed thru/over that liner. Since that '81 wiring was all un-tinned, I can only hope that by now a subsequent owner has rewired that boat. (!)

My SWAG is that some of that wiring, which was a minimal systeml when your boat was built out in the early 70's, is really hard to pull thru. Not sure of a solution, since normally one would tie a pull-string to the wiring and pull it thru, and then run new new wiring. Some "imagineering" may be involved. We all take for granted a *lot* more circuitry in modern boats for both 12 volt plus AC panels and devices. Plus... instrument wiring and coax.

One note about that liner: you can create very tidy access places with matching plastic(Formica) covers here 'n' there for getting at hardware and for running wiring. Also by installing 3" pop-out plastic access plate fittings. Sometimes a hole saw set is your friend.
The ease of cleaning and general appearance of the full-liner boats is sometimes matched by these sorts utility access quandaries.
But then, if maintaining a classic yacht was easy, they'd let just anyone own one! :)

Sailingfun

Member III
In the '70 marine wire does not have the same spec as now and was cheaper to produce. That's was the main reason to find wire spaghetti all-around boats, especially, old boats.
Modern wire handle and the possibility to get even multi wires and new specs after 1985 help to do better and cleaner installation on modern sailboats.
I remember when I started the trade the "English installation specs", "European installation specs" and "American installation specs", all different, all with different wires color codes.

Gaviate

Member III
But then, if maintaining a classic yacht was easy, they'd let just anyone own one!
My appreciation, in finding and acquiring, my 'little' Ericson grows each day and I savor the anticipation of becoming a 'maintainer' over time. For now I find the notion of being a 'restorer' equally satisfying with the full understanding that I would not even be that without the knowledge and generosity of this 'Ericson Clan'. Feeling much privileged......and thankful!
Oh and to not be so far off topic, I also set up my empty engine bay as battery home. The PO had it as an outboard gas can stowage...I think not!

wynkoop

Member III
I will check Silver Maiden this weekend and see how the wire gets to my compass and the light above the starboard quarterberth.

barnaclebob

Thanks all. I refurbed the switch/fuse panel, then installed two buss bars in the port cabinet along with a dimmer for the LED cabin lights for the times I don't need to do surgery. (dang they're bright!) The compass and vhf to starboard connect to ugly surface wiring drilled into the engine bay, thus my conundrum.

Let me know, Wynkoop.

Thanks again,

BB

wynkoop

Member III
UGH.....just home and I forgot to check! Thought about it twice, but each time I was in the middle of doing something that I could not stop. Next time.

I have to say the VHF should not be near the compass. Not only can the metal of the radio affect the compass, but just the current flowing in the wires to the radio can affect it. The magnetic field will be much more when the radio is transmitting as the current draw is greater then.

I do not allow the light below the compass over the quarter berth to be turned on when underway. I have never checked to see if current flow to the light affected the compass, I just made it a ship's rule.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
UGH.....just home and I forgot to check! Thought about it twice, but each time I was in the middle of doing something that I could not stop. Next time.

I have to say the VHF should not be near the compass. Not only can the metal of the radio affect the compass, but just the current flowing in the wires to the radio can affect it. The magnetic field will be much more when the radio is transmitting as the current draw is greater then.

I do not allow the light below the compass over the quarter berth to be turned on when underway. I have never checked to see if current flow to the light affected the compass, I just made it a ship's rule.
The threats to the compass come from anything magnetic, and the usual culprit is the little (teeny) speaker in the handheld VHF (or remote mic) parked nearby. Steel tools are often mildly magnetic, also. Note that at least by the 80's when our boat was built out, the factory used a twisted pair of wires going up from the aft cabin thru the steering binnacle to the compass just to eliminate magnetic interference from that one source.

The other common part that strongly affects the compass is the strong permanent magnet that holds closed the little chart chip door in 75% of chart plotters that sailors naively mount on the SS guard. We selected a Lowrance model with a friction catch after trial fits of some other brands/models showed obvious needle movement.

wynkoop

Member III
Finally remembered to check Silver Maiden for you when I was on her tonight. My starboard cabin light and compass light are fed from a pair of wires coming from the stern, so the path is from the main panel, all the way forward, around the bow, then to the stern followed by a u-turn forward to the area where the light is by running up through the berth overhead.

If you want to re-run a wire to there I would start with a snake or fish tape from behind the door to the stern. Start pulling to the stern. You can access the stern end of that chase by taking off the trim at the aft end of the quarter berth. Once you have the wire back there you can cross to starboard and shove it into the void behind the wood trim and take it up to the starboard side cabin light and tie it in to the light circuit.

I hope this helps!

wynkoop

Member III
That is a great idea Christian! Mine came as described. I am the second owner. Previously owned by three guys who were partners in it. I am not sure if they wired it this way or if it was factory.