• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-28+ Sail Specs?

Fernando C

Greetings Everyone! I recently bought a 28+ which has adapted unfit sails which I'm replacing. The sailmaker is asking a number of questions that I don't have answers for, so does anyone know how to find detailed specs/measurements of the sails? Thanks!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome to the Ericson clan!
I believe that you will find that your sailmaker will need exact measurements from your particular boat. That's because it's common to find undocumented rig changes, either from long ago when it was spec'd out for the original owner or from changes that subsequent owners did.
There are sail measurement doc's online and I used to refer folks to the one at UKSails, way back when I was selling some sails from them.
You need a good tape, and usually closeup photos of the gooseneck area and the outhaul area also. The sailmaker will do all of this when he/she builds a quote.
Of course, with basic brochure info, a sailmaker can give you a "ball park" figure.....

Fernando C

Thank you, Loren. As I have the boat stored in one location and mast and sails elsewhere, getting a brochure would be (I thought) the best way to go. Too many things for a newbie, I have to say.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
This site may give you close dimensions for quoting. As Loren said you would want exact measurements form your boat before you commit to purchase anything.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The published data is great for estimates.

Now you have the opportunity to buy a 100' tape measure for measuring your own boat, which has many nautical uses and also comes in handy around the house. We need such excuses for stuff otherwise not easily justified.

A local sailmaker rep usually will make hisr own measurements. That way fit is guaranteed.