• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-29 Emergency Tiller

ThurstonCounty

Member I
Just bought our first sailboat (go easy on us), a 1975 E29. It does not seem to have an emergency tiller any longer and I was not able to find any schematics on this site. Anyone got an extra or at least some plans?

Second Star

Member III
Had to build mine for our 28+ from scratch. How difficult that is depends upon whether you have wheel or tiller steering. If tiller then make a simple version of as fitted out of metal plate and appropriate sized wood or pipe for the handle. For wheel steering it took a lot of back and forth to get past the interference of the pedestal and wheel. If I had to use it I would pull the wheel off to steer but it is a rudimentary beast without much leverage that would be a horror to use for more than a few hours.

ThurstonCounty

Member I
She has wheel stearing but through a small access panel forward of the bench the binnacle is mounted on, there is a mount for an emergency tiller. Unfortunately, the ”Owners Manual” does not provide specifics on the connection. The wheel is mounted on a transverse bench so I think this is not an upgrade from a tiller version.

I was just hoping someone had a spare before I started constructing one from scratch. Seems like a good thing to have as safety gear.

ThurstonCounty

Member I
Look what I found… It has an odd cut on the backside, but for those of you that have an emergency tiller, does this look about right?0C7B1A1A-C8D1-4904-B3BF-94E171C35572.jpeg

paul culver

Member III
Here is the set-up on my E29. Length of the wood portion of the tiller is 4 ft. The first photo is the head of the rudder post under the bridge deck where the tiller attaches. I have not had to use it but I confirmed that the pieces fit together.

Attachments

• IMG_0260.JPG
    IMG_0260.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0261.JPG
    IMG_0261.JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0265.JPG
    IMG_0265.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 13

ThurstonCounty

Member I
perfect. i was able to scrounge up a rudder post and now that i’m seeing what the rest is, I think i can figure this out. Thanks so much for the pics!