• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 29 / No Freshwater Fill Port??

Cutbait61

Member II
Recently purchased 1976 E 29...while getting familiar with systems etc..noticed freshwater tank was not plumbed for deck filler port...ok..perhaps P.O. disconnected it for some reason..I've discovered other "wierd " things he had done..went top side to find the filler port thinking no problem I'll just reconnect the tank...3 laps around the deck and no filler port to be found...only gas..not even holding tank pump out..WTH??..the holding tank is a non issue since I've abandoned that for a composting head...I would like to use the freshwater system ...also..I had to install a city water inlet as well...again..WTH??!!....any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated..thanks!!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Recently purchased 1976 E 29...while getting familiar with systems etc..noticed freshwater tank was not plumbed for deck filler port...ok..perhaps P.O. disconnected it for some reason..I've discovered other "wierd " things he had done..went top side to find the filler port thinking no problem I'll just reconnect the tank...3 laps around the deck and no filler port to be found...only gas..not even holding tank pump out..WTH??..the holding tank is a non issue since I've abandoned that for a composting head...I would like to use the freshwater system ...also..I had to install a city water inlet as well...again..WTH??!!....any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated..thanks!!
It was normal for builders to include a "deck fill" plate and hose on boats of that vintage. Same for boats built today. That said, not universally done, either...
The stock fresh water tank system for the Olson 34 does not have a deck fill arrangement. This seemed odd when we bought the boat, but we instantly got used to lifting up a settee cushion to access the fill fitting on the top of the tank. We bring the end of the hose inside, with a little ball-valve shutoff on the hose end. Fill the tank without spilling a drop.
Same for our aft tank, located under a cockpit seat hatch.
No worries about a fill hose or a leaky O-ring on a deck plate and contamination of the water.

Does your boat have a place on deck where a fitting used to live? How accessible is the top of the fresh water tank?

Do be careful about installing a hose inlet for a "city water system". If ignored and left under pressure those have occasionally filled and sunk boats. :(

Cutbait61

Member II
It was normal for builders to include a "deck fill" plate and hose on boats of that vintage. Same for boats built today. That said, not universally done, either...
The stock fresh water tank system for the Olson 34 does not have a deck fill arrangement. This seemed odd when we bought the boat, but we instantly got used to lifting up a settee cushion to access the fill fitting on the top of the tank. We bring the end of the hose inside, with a little ball-valve shutoff on the hose end. Fill the tank without spilling a drop.
No worries about a fill hose or a leaky O-ring on a deck plate and contamination of the water.

Does your boat have a place on deck where a fitting used to live? How accessible is the top of the fresh water tank?
The water tank is easily accessible under the starboard settee hatch..adjacent to the engine bay..no problem..I figured the only way to fill it as it exists now was the method you described..but that being said no evidence of a deck filler port..or that there ever was one...there is no plumbing whatsoever attached to the tank either..its possible the P.O. (s) removed it for whatever reason..the galley foot pump has no connections either...easy fixes I know..I guess I expect to see certain things while exploring the guts of the boat and when I dont it raises questions.

Cutbait61

Member II

Do be careful about installing a hose inlet for a "city water system". If ignored and left under pressure those have occasionally filled and sunk boats. :(
Understand be careful with city/dock water inlet...since im planning on living aboard during the week..a dock water connection made more sense than the tank system...however..water will only be on when I am aboard and when needed..otherwise it will be off and de pressurized and blown down/drained . Thanks for your advice and replies..more questions to come I'm sure

gabriel

Live free or die hard
My Ericson came with the freshwater fill inside the cabin behind the companionway ladder screwed to the bulkhead. Was a strange plastic funnel-like device (looked sort of like a mouse sized urinal).

Cutbait61

Member II
My Ericson came with the freshwater fill inside the cabin behind the companionway ladder screwed to the bulkhead. Was a strange plastic funnel-like device (looked sort of like a mouse sized urinal).
I'm convinced there never was one..so..probably just run the water hose inside and fill it ...it was just an odd discovery or...non discovery..

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey

I fill my tanks this way as well, even though all three do have deck fills available. Initially did them through the deck fills, but the starboard and port tanks have some sort of pinholes near the tank lids. (The bow tank is fine.) If allowed to fill completely through the deck fills, I have to sop up some water that seeps through from the pressure. So I just do what you do and haven't had a drop spilled since.