• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E/30+ battery charger

bwb

E/30+ Berkeley, CA
Hi, 30+ owners. What are you guys using for a battery charger, and where is it mounted? My boat came with a GUEST 10 amp charger, mounted under the chart table and plugged in to the outlet next to the chart table. This isn't the best arrangement, as the charger must be unplugged to open the table.

Anyone have their charger mounted inside the battery compartment? Which brands will fit? The aft wall of the battery compartment would work as a mounting surface for the existing charger, except that the fresh water pump is already mounted there.

Anyone using a combination charger-inverter? How have you got that mounted and wired?

Another option, I suppose, is to just leave the charger where it is, run the AC power cable into the battery box as well, and splice it into the existing AC wiring in the battery box. What should I use to make a proper marine-grade splice on line-voltage wiring?

Any info much appreciated. Thanks!

Brian

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
My partner and I have an E30+. I'll have to take a look the next time I am on the boat to see what we have as far as battery charging and where it is located. I believe it is in the engine compartment area under the sink where the shore power breaker panel is located, but I'll have to check to be sure.

newpbs

Member III
Caution

I would not mount a battery charger in the same compartment as the batteries. Some batteries give off gasses which are combustible and could create an explosion under the right conditions. The charger just might provide a source for that combustion.

In the past, I have placed my charger in a spot that is near power as well as to the batteries. My current boat, E32-200 has the charger mounted under the lazarette off of the cockpit. The battery compartment in within the cabin below the captain's berth.

Paul