• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 32 2 or 200 ...a movie street scene in “The Tomorrow War”

kapnkd

kapnkd
“The Tomorrow War” is a sci-fi action thriller on Amazon Prime about aliens destroying our world.

Excellent CG and interesting plot but was surprised to see an E 32 stranded on a Miami street in all the chaos!! I would hope it too was but a “CG” and still went on to live and sail another day!

It always troubles me to see ”Hollyweird” destroying classic cars and more for movie scenes!
C3E642D7-1A5D-4B9D-9478-03AB5886C591.jpeg4AAAC3BE-1859-4DB7-961B-4E518F61DC35.jpeg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If they behave like the movie/TV production companies that have been in our city, they will restore every boat/house/vehicle, whatever, that they rent to "better than it was" condition. I notice that the slacked lifelines do not appear to have any accompanying damage to stanchions, and it appears that they were disconnected at the bow. Looks dramatic & impressive, but no material damage.
Ah, the wiles of the "fantasy" business! :)

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Back in the 70's, a TV production bought three identical logging trucks from one of my neighbors (their entire operation). One they filmed from the outside, driving up and down the road. One they welded a bunch of camera mounts to, to film people in the interior, and the third they drove off a cliff! Then they just gave them all back when they were done.

More recently, I bought some used lab equipment from "movie cars, inc." or some such name. I drove the truck down to Hollyweird to pick it up. The facility was a vast acreage full of vehicles of every imaginable description, both "stock" and "custom." And warehouses full of "stuff" that could be used as props. TV and film productions rented this stuff every day. There was a continuous flow of vehicles in and out. Some of it was set up as a museum and they let us just wander around on our own while we waited for our contact guy. There were iconic things you've seen in the movies, ordinary cars, (lots and lots of cop cars) boats, buses, trucks, LAPD Bomb-squad trailers, flying saucers, you name it.

kapnkd

kapnkd
If they behave like the movie/TV production companies that have been in our city, they will restore every boat/house/vehicle, whatever, that they rent to "better than it was" condition. I notice that the slacked lifelines do not appear to have any accompanying damage to stanchions, and it appears that they were disconnected at the bow. Looks dramatic & impressive, but no material damage.
Ah, the wiles of the "fantasy" business! :)

Hope you’re correct!

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Amazon rented out our little yacht club's clubhouse for a few days to shoot one scene for a show called "Sneaky Pete." (Starring Giovanni Ribisi - I thoroughly enjoyed it.)

They paid nicely for the use of the club and painted the interior beautifully for us when they were done.

I'm optimistic the Ericson was treated well for the movie unless it was already in salvage mode. Perhaps the keel had already been cut off, which enabled its placement in the street...?

peaman

Sustaining Member
The slope of the forward part of the house tells me that must be a 32-2. Later models have a lower slope.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Amazon rented out our little yacht club's clubhouse for a few days to shoot one scene for a show called "Sneaky Pete." (Starring Giovanni Ribisi - I thoroughly enjoyed it.)

They paid nicely for the use of the club and painted the interior beautifully for us when they were done.

I'm optimistic the Ericson was treated well for the movie unless it was already in salvage mode. Perhaps the keel had already been cut off, which enabled its placement in the street...?
Interesting and very cool about the use of your club! ...I too was wondering about the keel - being the boat should be MUCH further on her side with the 4'11" draft. Back then there were no "shallow draft" E-32's. ...Was it cut off, simply sitting in a hole...or even just inserted via CG???

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I watched this movie tonight. Another astonishing Easter egg! The “queens lair” is a site I know intimately. Though I can’t seem to find it in the credits, it is definitely an old copper mine in Spain where I spent five summers. (And a little extra CGI.) In fact, it is the exact place I mentioned in another thread where the daytime temperature reached 114F every day in August. Maybe the “second unit” just make a few good images of the site and all the rest is CGI?

During those years, it was transformed into a provincial park with campsites, picnic areas, and quite a lot of very nice stonework. You can stay there for the weekend now. The roads they race around on, when we first started there, we literally had to hack through with machetes. The red water shown is very real - unbelievable concentrations of iron and copper. FWIW, the tunnels really are directly beneath the plaza where the helicopters hover. You can take tours now. (Back then, you just had to know someone from whom you could borrow the key.) Though there are no direct openings between. I mostly worked up on the cliff, from which the aliens attacked.

Slick470

Member III
I watched the movie on Friday night. It was entertaining.

Given that Ericson is from a future scene in the movie, that boat is probably 73ish years old at that point... Seems to have held up pretty well all things considered.

kapnkd

kapnkd
I watched the movie on Friday night. It was entertaining.

Given that Ericson is from a future scene in the movie, that boat is probably 73ish years old at that point... Seems to have held up pretty well all things considered.
Like the old advertisement, “An Ericson is Forever”... ;-)))