• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-32 Rudder stuffing box leak (71')

Chris Haug

Our rudder stuffing box is leaking. Looking at a previous thread the problem is addressed for a 35-2. Is the 32's the same ? Can any 32 owners offer any advice. The stuffing box has the 4 bolts as described in the specs,but ours looks a little different than the drawing. Would like to also replace the rudder shaft bushing seeing that it's the original.

Christiania
E-32

JORGE

Member III
Rudder stuffing ,again , E32

My E 32 1971, has the steering quadrant about 1 inch over the top of the stuffing box. There are two pins which hold the rudder shaft. one is located at deck level, through the rudder head, (note the rusty grease fitting). the second pin bolt is the one you need to remove, is centered through the middle of the shaft. The quadrant has 4 small bronze bolts besides. Recheck the cables, too. IMPORTANT, The rudder will probably slip down so tie on rope outside and sling it with a loop tie it to the pulpits.

*See if you can get a helper to work on the lazarette side.
Then you'll see the 4 bolts holding the stuffing box closed. This is removed and cleaned well .( You'll need a strip of teflon Flax 12" Apx. and Syntec flax grease, this is muchy sticky grease, so displosable gloves are a good choice. ) Now, before the flax is cut (diagonally) look at the epoxied metal cap below the stuffing area, the plate is the top of the rudder bushing. If you are positive it's leaking like a dog, then it needs to be chiseled out and replaced and epoxied again. Recheck, the quadrant, and cables & alignment.

FIGURE about , half a can of WD40, half a jar of syntec grease, plus parts and your labor time of 8 hours-- if you are fast. Bless it w/ high grade Vodka.

Chris Haug

Thanks Jorge,

I need to look a little closer now with
your description of the stuffing box. Is the epoxied cap part of the bushing or protecting it ? Where would I get a new bushing ? (fabricate one perhaps). I do believe I will take your advise on blessing it, but will have to substitute the vodka with Linie Aquavit. Staying true to my viking Heritage.

Christiania
E-32
#214:egrin:

JORGE

Member III
Epoxy cap

First you have to decide if there is a serious leak or alot of slop in the rudder. In my opinion, the epoxy cap (and fbg?) appears to me as a sealant ,and holds in the rudder bearing.which looks fairly large. Remember, this is not done in the water!!
A company I found is PYI.com, but others may be defender.com, WestM.com. However, first the original will need to be removed. probably by grinding away, chipping at the epoxy seal. Then if the rudder bearing is not coming up if you lift it, try removing the bearing by inserting a pole from the outside upward into the rudder shaft. try not to damage the inside of the shaft.javascript:smilie(':boohoo:')
Boo Hoo.