• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-35 traveler

jeffshaeffer

:egrin::egrin:I have a Ericson 35-3 1987 with the original Schaefer traveler,the wheels are so loose that the car no longer rolls under pressure. I contacted Schaefer about a new car,but they have changed their track so I would need to replace everything ( track and cars ).My question is,dose anyone know who might be able to replace the wheels on the car I have.They appear to be pressed in. I'm in the San Francisco bay area,but would be willing to ship it anywhere for repair.If anybody can help It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

C Masone

Perfect Storm
I just fixed mine, I just drilled two new holes (it's aluminum) and pressed the wheels back in, It wasn't very hard. Works well now.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I would either try to fix it as"C Masone" has or try contacting the folks at Garhauer. They can either help you fix what you have or get you a reasonable replacement.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
If you can't fix it remove it and Garhauer will make you a new one that fits exactly for around $500. Garhauer does not move quickly so take whatever lead time they give you and triple it. The product is great though. RT

C Masone

Perfect Storm
I spoke with Garhauer and they can make a traveler for not much more than a new schaefer car, schaefer's website does show new cars. I'm not ready to remove my headliner (the traveler is mounted forward of the "zippered" access) therefore I just fixed what I had. I will eventually replace the whole system, the factory system is only 2:1. Ridiculous!

BTW I have a 4 wheel traveler car on my 32, I guess you may have a 6 wheel. I don't know if there is room on the body of a 6 wheel to drill new holes, however I found that the two wheels that failed were on the aft side of the car, thus that is where all the strain was. After I drilled new holes and pressed in the wheels I re-installed the car with those wheels foward for athstetics. My point here is if you can only re-drill for two holes than turn the car around from the high stress side and let it run that way.

http://schaeferhardware.com//SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=316

Rhynie

Member III
I got a new traveler for my p-30 from Garheaur (took a knockdown and bent the track and the old car exploded); it was a nice piece of equipment, custom made to fit. I have also used other gear from them and have been very satisfied.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
That would be RigRite and be careful as their service has gotten very bad recently. I have also heard rumors of going out of business.

jeffshaeffer

Thanks

Hey,thanks to everyone for all the info. I ended up finding a small machine shop locally that could press out the old wheels on the car,make new
nylon bushings and press them back into place,for about the cost of a case of beeer. Hope to get a few more years out of.

Jeff:egrin: