• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-38 New Owners - Need Sail Dimensions

Dferr

Member II
Well, it looks like my wife and I are new owners of a 1982 E-38. Boy, do we have a lot of work to do! But it's great to have a boat again! "I think"
Anyway, does anyone know the dimensions of the head sail? I'm in need of something a little newer. I beleive the genoa that's on it is a 150 but not sure. If onyone knows of a used genoa 135 to 150 for sale that in good condition that would be great! I also would like to fined a navy colored main sail cover.

Thanks,
Don

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Congratulations to you and your wife Don. Welcome to the club! There are several E 38 owners on this site and I am sure that you will hear from them. If you go to the Specs & Documents section for your boat, you may find some basic measurements. Also you can do a search on this site for "38 main sail" and see what you get.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
www.baconsails.com

Search for your boat then look up sails. All used, various condition. I worked there about 10 years ago, they had over 5,000 sails in stock then. I have no idea how many now. Probably will find a decetn one for your 38. New mains start around 2k and go up from there depending on what cloth and options you use.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I have a used Doyle 150 genoa that is, IIRC, an '04. Small repair to the leech line cover was just done. Used in decent shape. My sailmaker stated "good to very good" Make me an offer, I don't want to have to store it. I had it for sale here a while back but no one was interested or we couldn't agree on price? I don't really remember. Go to the "for sale" section and do a search for "Doyle" and you will see my original post. RT

Last edited:

Don Taugher

Member II
main sail cover

Hi Don:

Congratulations to you and your wife on the selection of the 38. We have had ours for three years and love it. I just replaced my mail sail cover, you can have my old one for the price of the box and shipping. It is Dark Blue with white dracron seam binding, which is in poor shape. The sail cover isn't bad, I think a another year or two of service is left in it. Email me direct if you are interested taugher6@aol.com.

Happy sailing,
Don Taugher
38-200 # 263
Running Free

Dferr

Member II
150 Genoa

Rob, I'm not sure if I have a 150 genoa on my boat or not. I may want something a little smaller, not sure at this time. I'll keep that in mind though.

Thanks,
Don

Seth

Sustaining Partner
How big is your sail?

When we say 130%, 150%, we mean the the LP measurement of the sail is that percentage of the J-which for you is 16.25'. Thus the LP for a 150% genny on the 38 is 16.25 X 1.5. To measure this, lay the sail flat, and using a tape measure, place the end of the tape at the corner at the clew of the sail and while standing with this tape at the luff of the sail, swing the tape until the tape bisects the luff at a right angle (the "perpendicular" part of the term) to the luff. In other words, the LP line runs between the clew to the luff-at the point along the luff where this line is perpendicluar to the luff.

Whatever this dimension is will be the LP, or "size" of the sail. If the dimension is 1.3 X 16.25 (in the case of the 38), then you have a 130%, etc.

The luff dimension will vary some with rig tune (rake), and how the furling system (if installed) is installed (how high the drum is off the deck). If buying a used sail you need to get a measurement between the top of the lower drum and the bottom of the upper swivel when fully hoisted-on YOUR boat-subtract about 1% for stretch, and this is the desired luff length when shopping a used sail.

If you find one a foot or so longer, but is otherwise a good sail, it can usually be shortened by a sailmaker. If it is more than about 8-10" short, pass-you should have a sail that fits the boat.

Good luck!
S