• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 380 Rub Rail end cap

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you only need one, you can cast a replacement easily. I doubt you can buy one.

I made a plaster of Paris mold of an existing end cap, filled with epoxy thickened with colloidal silica, and then painted the result with silver spray paint. Can't even tell the difference.

Alli-Rose

If you only need one, you can cast a replacement easily. I doubt you can buy one.

I made a plaster of Paris mold of an existing end cap, filled with epoxy thickened with colloidal silica, and then painted the result with silver spray paint. Can't even tell the difference.

Thanks for the reply and idea of using plaster. I want to replace all 4 of mine. Are all the same? I have one good one to mold from If they are.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I imagine so. Do use some kind of release agent on the plaster mold, otherwise the plug comes out looking like drywall. This happened to somebody I know....

Last edited:

HerbertFriedman

Member III
I once used my daughter's Play Dough, to make a mold for an Auto Helm Wheel Clamp, worked fine. I also used thickened West Epoxy and did not use any mold release.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
The fore and aft caps on the 32-3 are the interchangeable.

Modeling clay from Michael's Craft stores makes great molds because it holds a fine detail. That is IF you are not using polyester resin. It should work OK with West Systems 105 which generates less heat, but if the mold melts you may need to try again with the paper mache' or plaster route. When using plaster I simply wipe the mold 2-3 times with car wax.