• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-39B Gooseneck help needed!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hi Jeff,

First both Nancy and I want to wish you a great Christmas ! Hope it is full of good food and friends, but not too much snow. We are spending ours in a Mexican Hurricane Gulch !

I've also got a request for you, if you get a chance.

We are having more gooseneck problems and I wonder if you could post a question to the forum so there might be some thoughts or suggestions when we get connectivity again ?

From a modified blog entry we can't post until we get connected:

=------>
When the swells and waves spilled the wind out of the main I could see the gooseneck attachment to the mast shifting ever so slightly. I couldn’t believe it and certainly didn’t want to. After tightening the screws as well as I could without risking stripping the threads I put my hand on the fitting and the mast and ... curses, I could still feel it moving ever so slightly.

When we had the standing rigging redone the rigger had the goose fitting welded so that the boom no longer rotated around its long axis. He probably did this to accommodate the rigid boom vang and avoid creating a stress point where it joined the boom. He also stripped some of the original threads tapped into the mast when he re-attached the gooseneck to the mast, something we discovered down in Dana point maybe a year ago. We re-drilled the holes one size larger and tapped them for a larger set of screws which had held until now. (There is a picture on the Blog Entry named something like "For Want of a Screw" or something like that).

Unfortunately, the gooseneck attachment to the mast is not designed to take the full force of a rigid boom mount as the boom twists around the long axis and slams against the stop created by the now-welded fitting.

So, what do we do ?

We either need a new gooseneck (Who produces goosenecks if we have to buy a new one ?) or we need to have a longer mounting plate attached to the mast fitting. (Maybe I should have used Loctite instead of anti-seize on the SS screws ?)

We are 100s or many 100s of miles from any place where we could have that work done, unless we turn around. Turning around is not really an option we even want to think about. The solution is to take advantage of all our downwind legs and sail under jib alone almost all the way. We’ll still do a comfortable 5+ knots if there is any wind to speak of and if there isn’t we’d be going really slowly anyway.
<------=

Say hi to anyone we might know and wish them happy holidays if they are nice people :)

Thanks,

-Sven

----
This e-mail was delivered via satellite phone using IRIDIUM's AxcessPoint Mail & Web software.
Please be kind and keep your replies short.

Glyn Judson

Gooseneck needed.

Jeff, Sven & Nancy, If I remember correctly, you showed me photos of that gooseneck long before you left on your great high seas adventure and it was almost, if not, identical to mine. If that is indeed the case, call Le Fiell, 800.4514.5971 and if he still works there, contact Rodney Higuera http://www.lefiell.com and tell him your problem with attached photos. I'm sure they can help you out, as a few years ago they did just that for a friend of mine with his E31 who had that same gooseneck which had broken. Good luck, Glyn

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Jeff, Sven & Nancy, If I remember correctly, you showed me photos of that gooseneck long before you left on your great high seas adventure and it was almost, if not, identical to mine. If that is indeed the case, call Le Fiell, 800.4514.5971 and if he still works there, contact Rodney Higuera http://www.lefiell.com and tell him your problem with attached photos. I'm sure they can help you out, as a few years ago they did just that for a friend of mine with his E31 who had that same gooseneck which had broken. Good luck, Glyn

Thank you Glyn, I will pass this on to Sven & Nancy, Hopefully the will get this via e-mail. Happy Holidays to you and Marylin! Oh Yeah Frank.:xmas_grin

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Gooseneck

If it is a LeFiell rig, then that is the first place to try. Another option would be to send photos and dimensions to Mark Shutts at Shutts Fabricators. He is the top marine welder/fabricator in Long Beach, and an artist. Between the info you give him and the fact that he should be able to find a 39 in Long Beach to confirm dimensions if needed, this will be a very good solution.
Info:
Shuttsfab
www.shuttsfab.com
Shutts Fabricators.
1632 West 15th St. Long Beach,CA. 90813.
(562) 432-4648. email:
shuttsfab@earthlink.net

Good luck,
S

Sven

Seglare
Thanks for the replies.

On a cellular connection in Turtle Bay so I'll keep this brief :egrin:

I wonder what the gooseneck is made out of ? Cast SS or plated bronze ? Since the problem is that it is (vertically) too short in the new configuration I think the easiest fix would be to weld and extension going up and down the mast. I'll draw a picture and send it later.

We'll probably stay here in Turtle Bay for another several days. I'll also contact the people Glyn and Seth suggest.

Hope everyone had too much food the last few days and lots of good family fun.

Thanks !

-Sven