• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E23 info

Bob in Va

Member III
I am in the process of building a national registry of Ericson 23 boats and their current owners. If you have one of these "vest pocket cruisers" or know of anyone who does, please refer them to me. Or, if you know of one for sale anywhere, please let me know. Your efforts will be much appreciated. Thanks - Bob Boe in Va

Milton Thrasher

There is a 23' Ericson mini-cruiser for sale at the Sarasota Sailing Squadron by the Youth Sailing Program that I am
seriously considering. It is in only fair condition without
motor. It seems to be a sound hull but neglected with heavy
growth on the bottom. It has a step up cabin so that there
is partial head room in the after part of the cabin. The transom
has a cutout for mounting a small outboard motor.
I have not found any literature on this model. The .pdf files
on this web site are for a raised deck model that is much
more modern than this boat.
Do you know anything about this model Ericson?

Milton Thrasher
Sarasota, FL
941 966-9172

Bob in Va

Member III
Milton - There were Mk 1 and Mk2 versions of the E-23, the first being produced from '68 to '72, the latter from '73 to '78. You are probably looking at a Mk 1 boat. If so it would have a rudder post coming through the cockpit floor rather than hung on the stern, and the inside layout (bulkheads and benches) would be symmetrical. The cabintop is raised as opposed to the "blister top" of the later boats. These boats were very solidly built and sail nicely. If you look on the starboard side of the stern, there should be an ID # molded in. Contact me at OLEBOE@aol.com and I can give you some more specifics, including a few pics of a Mk 1 boat. Good luck - Bob

Milton Thrasher

Ericson 23' listed on www.sailingtexas.com

Bob Trail of San Mateo, FL (south of Palatka) has an Ericson 23
for sale on a tandem trailer that is advertised on the
www.sailingtexas.com web site. I have been in touch with
him today and it is still for sale.

The ad describes it as:

23 FOOT ERICSON SAILBOAT FOR SALE $3700
In good condition, this sturdy 1976 sloop
has the swing keel (draws 24 inches with the keel up,
5 feet with the keel down), 4 freshly scrubbed sails
plus an additional huge genoa, a Johnson 5.5 hp outboard,
refurbished electrical panel and wiring, radio, knotmeter,
bilge pump, portapotti , fenders, life jackets,
whisker pole/boathook, boomvang, adjustable rear stay,
cockpit fuel locker, etc... The cabin has a nice dry
interior with lots of length and good cushions.
The hull is stout, cleaned & Newglass-II coated.
On a custom tandem trailer, ready to roll.
In San Mateo, FL.

call (386) 649-8710 or zap griffinaero@yahoo.com

He sent me some photos showing how it has a wooden box at
the aft end of the cockpit to house the gas tank which
seems like a good idea.

Bob in Va

Member III
Bob is a member of our association and I am familiar with his boat, or at least I've seen pictures of it. It would be a real good buy at that price if the trailer is included and the condition is as described. The E-23 is not a boat you would want to haul to and from the lake on weekends - it is a fairly heavy boat to trail (gross about 5000 including trailer), tall heavy mast, etc. But it is real nice to be able to pull it once a year and check the bottom, or just to bring it home to work on. If I did not have my '76 I'd be real interested in Bob's boat. The "blister top" design means 4'3" vertical inside, which is fine with me as I can still overnight, and it's nice to have good visibility forward. The cockpit is large and comfortable, and the boat is real well balanced and solid. You probably wouldn't want to take it for a week cruise, though some have, but it's perfect for a day or overnight.

Bob Ells

Member I
Bob - I've not seen any locally but I'll let you know if I see any in my travels latter this summer - if we ever get one here in the Boston area. Bob Ells

willy44

I recently purchased a 1976 e-23. This is my first sailboat. On my very first sail, a shroud broke and followed with the mast breaking in half at the spreader. I'm not sure I am going to like sailing. I am loking for a used mast or at least the name of the mast manufacturer, so that I might get a new extrusion. Anyhelp?
Thanks

Bob Ells

Member I
Willy 44 - I had to replace the mast on my E26 a couple of years ago. I contacted two spar fabricators. Rig-Rite and Charleston Spars. Rig-Rite has a great web site - do a google search - they have tons of information available. I ended up working with Charleston Spars. The address and contact information is listed below. You might try contacting local riggers as they may have something that can be retrofit to your boat. Boating comes with various aggrevations from time to time don't let it get you down - sailing makes it worth it all.

Rig-Rite, Inc. (401) 739-1179
63 Centerville Road
Warwick, RI 02886 USA

Jim Kulibert (704) 597-1502
Charleston Spar
3901 Pine Grove Circle
Charlotte, NC 28206

Hope this helps, Bob Ells

willy44

Thanks Bob

Originally posted by Bob Ells
Willy 44 - I had to replace the mast on my E26 a couple of years ago. I contacted two spar fabricators. Rig-Rite and Charleston Spars. Rig-Rite has a great web site - do a google search - they have tons of information available. I ended up working with Charleston Spars. The address and contact information is listed below. You might try contacting local riggers as they may have something that can be retrofit to your boat. Boating comes with various aggrevations from time to time don't let it get you down - sailing makes it worth it all.

Rig-Rite, Inc. (401) 739-1179
63 Centerville Road
Warwick, RI 02886 USA

Jim Kulibert (704) 597-1502
Charleston Spar
3901 Pine Grove Circle
Charlotte, NC 28206

Hope this helps, Bob Ells