• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E25+ Electrical/Shorepower?

PatTormey

Member I
I just bought an '79 E25+ here in New Hampshire and it has what appears to be an A/C electrical panel in the Engine compartment (thru the panel below the sink) with 3 metal toggle switches on it and NO discernable markings. The paint has faded. The boat has ShorePower that seems to be original. So this device is either ...
a) a battery charger
b) an Inverter
c) a power distribution panel
d) something the government installed to monitor my every move

Any help woud be appreciated as word a reference to E25+ electrical diagrams.

Thanks!

Pat Tormey
Sail Number 530
PTormey@4square.net
New Hampshire USA

TRMN8R

Member II
Do you have a pic to send? Is there a shore power hookup, iow, a 30A marine receptacle to accept the plug on the end of a cable? You can track the panel sw wiring back to that to verify.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ac

Any problem with the boat's AC wiring would have been red-flagged on your survey. Might be a good idea to review that document again.
Here is a thread on this topic for your size Ericson, and within are links to some other good threads.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=8183&referrerid=28

AC is a marvelous servant to have on your boat, but a very small mistake in handling it will kill you.
So be careful so you will live to become a Wise Viking Elder.
:egrin:

Loren

ps: indeed, some pictures would be most helpful.

Last edited:

PatTormey

Member I
I'll get Pic next day or two

I'll get some pictures next day or two..

I'm comfortable with AC since I was an electrician in the Navy attached to a small boat unit..

So when I get the cover off with all power off, I should be able to tell what is is and what it does..

thanks

PatTormey

Member I
Image of mystery ElecticalPanel

What has 4 switches some wires and no marking?

Here is a shot of the panel in question. It's in the engine compartment port side on en E25+ seen thru the hatch under the sink.

Thanks
Pat Tormey
New Hampshire USA

Attachments

• Electric Panel.jpg
    Electric Panel.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 106

SurabyaKid

Member III
It doesn't look like original equipment to me. Those toggle switches make me wonder if it is a 12VDC panel. It will be interesting to hear what you find when you pull the cover off. I think I'd be inclined to replace (if you need it at all) it based on probable age, condition, current practices and especially if you don't find a breaker or other circuit protection devices in there.

Pat

Glyn Judson

Original AC panel.

All, That image is identical to an oversized panel attached to the smaller box in my E25+ hull #515. Yes it's an AC panel with toggle switches, kind of weird I'll agree. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
a task for "Guy Noir" ?

All, That image is identical to an oversized panel attached to the smaller box in my E25+ hull #515. Yes it's an AC panel with toggle switches, kind of weird I'll agree. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Honestly... I immediately flashed on a mental image of Pat T's Ericson surrounded by federal agents in hazmat suits accompanied by bomb-sniffing dogs, and flanked by Homland Security...
:rolleyes:
... as they poke it with a "high tech" ... stick... :)
One wonders how Garrison Keillor might work this scene into one of his radio plays, complete with all the usual sound effects!

That contraption is truly a "black box". :cool:

Recommend replacing it with a modern AC breaker panel, if an opinion were desired.

LB

CSMcKillip

I just replaced a toggle type breaker for our e33, looks just like the ones in the photo. Once in the panel you will see that they are breakers not switches. We purchased new ones that were TYCO.

I can attach the URL if you need to.

I was told that new standards require a two pole main breaker, next on the list of stuff to do.

SurabyaKid

Member III
Well...theres one for my live & learn chapter. I've never seen toggle switch breakers.

I agree with Loren's comments...I'd be suspicious if it started ticking.

Pat

Emerald

Yep, my factory AC panel is like this complete with the Ericson name silk screened on it. Toggle style breaker switches which match (visually) the toggle style breaker switches in my DC panel. I've added a reverse polarity alarm to it and the wiring is up to date. I can't find anything "wrong" with mine other than it's "different" from what we see nowadays :rolleyes:

Glyn Judson

Identical panel.

David, Well that is interesting. Your E31 at hull #44 has the mystery black box but by the time Ericson got around to building mine, E31 hull #55 all I got was a gray Square D home breaker box on the order of two (??) or three (??) breakers. I might add that mine was located in the same place against the bulkhead separating the ice box from the space beneath the galley sink. All that's history now though with the Blue Sea AC & DC panels combined on the vertical at the starboard nav station. Glyn

Emerald

Interesting Glyn. I'm sitting here thinking I have 4 breakers beyond the master pair that turn the whole thing on/off. At some point, I might make the Blue Sea upgrade, but right now, my A/C requirements are very simple - receptacles, battery charger and water heater. The big "upgrade" to the system was the galvanic isolator, which made the difference on keeping zincs, but that's a different thread. :egrin: