• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E25 New Centerboard and Rudder Pics

Steve Swann

Member III
Here are four pictures of the new centerboard and rudder that I had Idasailor Marine build for me out of high density rigid polymer. I haven't sailed them yet but am relieved that the centerboard project is really done now, fixed right, and maintenance free. Incidentally, I took Bob Boe's advice (of E 23 fame) and kept the centerboard much lighter than the factory one; just enough lead in the bottom of it to sink it, about 20# is all. My wife or even a child should be able to raise and lower this one a lot easier. Also, I like the idea of a more forgiving forward stop if it ever bangs against the forward portion of the centerboard trunk - an area that is subject to damage if abused by dropping the centerboard hard. I still have a centerboard spine that Bob built for sale along with a complete rudder in good shape.

The rudder just seemed like a good thing to do since it now kicks up if I happen to wander into thin water. I just never have liked how the toe of the rudder was so exposed to underwater collisions.

Now I can rest easier while drinking cheap beer.

Attachments

• E25 Rudders Comparison 1.jpg
    E25 Rudders Comparison 1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 157
  • Centerboard Installed 2.jpg
    Centerboard Installed 2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 132
  • Centerboards Comparison 2.jpg
    Centerboards Comparison 2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 153
  • Centerboard tucked into trunk.jpg
    Centerboard tucked into trunk.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 127

Paul

Keel

Very nice. How much did they charge for the keel? I'm almost done building a new one for my 25.

Nice work!

Hi Steve,
Are you selling a good rudder? Mine needs re-working or replacement.
Ida-Sailor did a really nice job on your rudder and keel. I'm in Eastern Washington and find the local boat yards to be power boat oriented. Could you post the contact for the work you had done? Thanks, Chris

Bob in Va

Member III
Foiled again

Looks really good, Steve. A minor point: the board should not actually contact anything on its forward edge when it is down - the stop is the notch in the backside of the top, and it will fetch up against a pretty strong area of the centerboard trunk. Especially with the lighter board you might notice some clunking if the boat is in any choppy waters - that generally results from the board moving a little off the stop, then hitting it again. One fix is to retract it slightly with the pendant, so as to hold it a little off the stop all the time when down. When I pulled my board this winter I noticed it had more side-to-side slop than I thought, so a 1/4" cutting board was sacrificed to make a couple of big round shims. That really tightened it up, and I can tell a difference in pointing ability now.

Steve Swann

Member III
E25 Centerboard Source

Hey folks,

Thanks for the compliments; I'll pass them on to Joel (owner/operator of Idasailormarine.com) for his work. (208.375.2204) Now that he has the pattern, he can be contacted if anyone wants to talk to him about work on their 25. I will let him quote a price to you.

Bob, I prevent my c/b from hitting the forward end of its trunk. The new c/b is the same pattern as the old (and the one you provided as well). I also had "cheeks" put on my new c/b to prevent any lateral movement and to prevent that cussed banging that so many c/b's tend to do when the roll a bit in the swell.

davisr

Member III
Steve,

You mention those "cheeks," i.e., strips of metal that you had centerboard maker install for the purpose of helping to reduce lateral movement of the board. From the picture you provide it appears that the cheeks are bolted directly on top of the board so as to add, perhaps, 1/8 of an inch of material on either side of the trunk. Is this correct?

Rob Hessenius initiated a thread titled, "E23s and E25 centerboards." On it, he shows pictures of his centerboard repair. It appears that his metal strips project in a way similar to yours (at least in a couple of the photos). He told me over the phone, though, that he ground his trunk down a little bit so as to make the metal strips flush with the board. He then through bolted the strips to give the entire trunk strength.

I can see the reasoning behind making the metal strips project from the trunk of the board -- to eliminate wobble. At the same time, it seems that it could allow gunk to build up more easily when the board is retracted for an extended period of time.

Just wondering what everyone's experience has been with this part of the centerboard repair project.

Best regards,
Roscoe

E25, cb, Hull 226