• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E25 Rudder

Jerry

Inactive Member
:mad: Well it happened. While out for an extended sail my brother yelled LOG and then BANG!!! Broken rudder. Not only the rudder but also the top casting which includes the top gudgeon and tiller mount. The gudgeon is ok but the tiller mount is shot. We were able to jury rig it and made the 40 miles back home without a problem.

I've made an attempt to contact Steve Swann about the luck he's had with the Idasailor rudder he had fabricated and I'll contact Joel at Idasailor tomorrow to see what can be done. I tried the web site (Idasailormarine.com) with no luck. In the mean time is there any one out there with a rudder/casting for a E25? Also, can the casting be welded? I'm set up for MIG but assume that TIG will be needed to do the job correctly if it can be done at all.

I'd be grateful for any help out there.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Tiller Head

Jerry~

Sorry to hear about your "log" smash. It happens to the best of us. I had a buddy aboard today and asked him if you can weld the head and he said yes. I forgot to ask him how, but glad to know that it can be done.

I have seen pictures of Steve's rudder and always thought if my rudder broke, I would replace it with the Ida rudder anyway. Being in Illinois our season up north is short and to be without a rudder till the end of July is a bad option. I would "jimmy" up the existing rudder till the arrival of the new Ida rudder.