• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E26-2 - How many masthead sheaves?

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Question for my fellow E26-2 owners with Kenyon spars. I'm looking for a way to increase safety when going up the mast. Are there additional sheaves available (by default) besides main and headsail?

The last time I sent someone else up on a Topclimber, we used the genoa halyard as the safety line. Less than ideal because in addition to being a wire-to-rope halyard, it's also a fractional rig. You can see the problems that might pose in a moment of need, but it's likely better than nothing.

I now own a Mast Mate ladder and while it will go up on the main halyard, and I could send a "fall arrest" line up with it, I'd like to have a backup that's not sharing that halyard. I've not had my mast down (or been up it myself), so I'm not completely sure what's up there.

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Thanks, Nick. I just remembered as I was typing this that I had taken some drone video (pictures below). Mine obviously looks different than your 25+ did.

Beyond my need, the description on the Rig Rite page for this mast is what has me curious.

Fractional Weld-in Masthead for 3656 Mast: K-10793P:
Weld-in Single channel Fractional Masthead for untapered 3656 mast section incorporates provisions for (2) 1 3/4" diameter sheaves, for internal main halyard. Strong, low-windage design includes (2) 1/4" pins for sheave axle, (1) 1/4" pin for topping lift, and (1) 5/16" Pin for Backstay attachment. Masthead is 11" long (maximum) x .775" wide, Backstay Crane extends 5 1/4" beyond the aft face of the mast. Masthead is designed to be welded into the mast Section and is unfinished. Does not include sheaves. As used on Ericson 25+, Ericson 26, and others.

I see the pins they describe for topping lift and backstay. Obviously there's a sheave there for the main, is the pin behind the little cover? Where's the 2nd pin that is listed? If there was a 2nd pin for a sheave axle, where would the line egress?

Sigla-MastHead-Starboard.png
Sigla-MastHead-Port.png

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
I now own a Mast Mate ladder and while it will go up on the main halyard, and I could send a "fall arrest" line up with it, I'd like to have a backup that's not sharing that halyard. I've not had my mast down (or been up it myself), so I'm not completely sure what's up there.
Was looking at the Mast Mate. Would you recommend it @KS Dave?

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Yes. Kenyon spars used a pin that had a "tab" on the end.
Ah-ha! Thank you - that helps! I wonder if both sheaves use the same pin? Or what's going on there? Maybe it has a different masthead on it. Certainly they changed things up on the E26 throughout its life.

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Was looking at the Mast Mate. Would you recommend it @KS Dave?
Honestly, I haven't used it yet. I got it in like new condition on FB Marketplace for a great price. It seemed a better option for me than an ascender-type rig. I plan to pair it with a harness, a climbing strap to lean into while at the top, and a fall arrestor. The latter is why I'm opening this investigation. I could send a climbing rope up with the ladder, but that's putting a lot of eggs in one basket.