• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E26-2 - How to Un-Step the Mast

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Can anyone from the E26 crew give me some clues and/or tips on taking down a deck-stepped Kenyon mast? Obviously I need to remove sails, lines, boom vang, etc. I think I can figure that part all out. Then detach the furler and stays (any particular order recommended?). Big question - how does the mast actually detach from the base? It wasn't obvious at my first look, but is there a pin or bolt? Anyone have pictures? I know from Randall's pictures there's a wiring and antenna cable inside I need to detach once it's lifted, but he completely re-did his to be able to lower/raise from the ground.

Our club has a hand-cranked crane tower that I can pull up under once it's on a trailer, and I intend to attach the strap so it slides up and lifts under the spreaders until the weight shifts, but the detach part I need to figure out. Appreciate any help as well as any "gotchas" I might encounter.

Brad Johnson

Member III
I take mine down every year to get the boat home so have experience , Once you have some tension on the strap and its pulling straight up, detach inner stays, fuller, backstays, then upper stays, lift enough detach wires , walk base of mast to bow as you lower strap until the mast is resting on the pulpits or ground.
s

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
I take mine down every year to get the boat home so have experience , Once you have some tension on the strap and its pulling straight up, detach inner stays, fuller, backstays, then upper stays, lift enough detach wires , walk base of mast to bow as you lower strap until the mast is resting on the pulpits or ground.
s
Thanks, Brad. That's VERY helpful to know the best order and a procedure you've perfected. Is there a pin or bolt that holds the mast to the step, or does it just lift straight off?

Last edited:

Brad Johnson

Member III
My mast is not a Keton but I restored a 25+ and that was a Keton and had a bolt thru a tabinacial ?? ( not sure of spelling )

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Thanks, Brad. That's VERY helpful to know the best order and a procedure you've perfected. Is there a pin or bolt that holds the mast to the step, or does it just lift straight off?
On my 26-2 it just lifts straight up off the step. No bolt or any other fastener.

Shankara

Member II
My 25+ has the cutout for hinging (see picture attached.)

I had the option to wait through the weekend and have the marina place the mast with a crane, or try to raise it manually with a friend and a gin pole made out of a spinnaker pole. If I were to do my entire life over I would have had the marina do it.

Attachments

• 943095D2-CC5D-4019-9650-5764EF7AE4A7.jpeg
    943095D2-CC5D-4019-9650-5764EF7AE4A7.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 9