E26-2 : stuffing box drip

acubria

Member II

vasuvius

Member II
this replaced my turkey basters. Perfect for the e-26

I got this one : https://www.amazon.com/Bilge-Manual...|Hand+Pumps+Siphon+Boat&qid=1632968705&sr=8-2

It gets "most" of the water that the electric pump doesn't. Wish I had seen the one you got sooner. Oh well.

Roger Janeway

Member II
I just got the Beckson recommended by Arturo and it is fantastic for my E-26. Empties the bilges in 1/10th the time (or better) than my 100ml syringe method. Thanks, Arturo aka Acubria!

acubria

Member II
I just got the Beckson recommended by Arturo and it is fantastic for my E-26. Empties the bilges in 1/10th the time (or better) than my 100ml syringe method. Thanks, Arturo aka Acubria!
Roger, I am glad you appreciate that pump. I insert the pump tube down to the lower bilge through one of those holes (see photo) that connect the 3 (upper bilges), and you can eliminate a lot more water than with a regular size pump.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 12.42.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 12.42.12 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 8

Roger Janeway

Member II
Right, me too. I never let water appear in the visible part of the bilge and am fortunate it doesn't happen. But I try to keep the lower bilges empty because they only hold 3-4 gallons and if you're heeled over, water can damage the cabin sole.

Currently, my only source of water incursion comes from switching out the Signet paddlewheel knotmeter with the dummy between sails. Practice makes this less scary than it seems at first, but you inevitably get a bit of water in.

I remain mystified by how little water comes in from my stuffing box yet it doesn't overheat. The Ericson manual calls for 5-6 drips per minute when running, but mine is more like 1-2. I nervously aim a heat gun at the shaft and the stuffing box nuts but so far nothing seems wrong.

vasuvius

Member II
Right, me too. I never let water appear in the visible part of the bilge and am fortunate it doesn't happen. But I try to keep the lower bilges empty because they only hold 3-4 gallons and if you're heeled over, water can damage the cabin sole.
Sadly I wish I had known this sooner. The very first month of boat ownership, I managed to get the cabin sole in one corner soaked and damaged :-(. I need to buy that pump.
Currently, my only source of water incursion comes from switching out the Signet paddlewheel knotmeter with the dummy between sails. Practice makes this less scary than it seems at first, but you inevitably get a bit of water in.
I've been shutting off the raw water sea-cock when I leave the boat and there's definitely less water coming. I'm still trying to figure out where else it could be coming from. Boat is coming out of the water tomorrow and I'll be able to check everything.
I remain mystified by how little water comes in from my stuffing box yet it doesn't overheat. The Ericson manual calls for 5-6 drips per minute when running, but mine is more like 1-2. I nervously aim a heat gun at the shaft and the stuffing box nuts but so far nothing seems wrong.
My drip is even less than 1-2. It's just a weep - i can feel the wetness but not see anything and the shaft does not heat up. At least not yet.

Alan Gomes

Contributing Partner

Ignore the Ericson manual. You need very little water to keep the shaft cool--though you do need some. If the packing nut is not running hot then you are fine.