• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E26 in Port Townsend, WA

matthidinger

Hey folks, first timer here!

I've been looking for a good "starter" sailboat and recently found a 1985 Ericson 26-2 in Port Townsend. I'm planning to check it out and schedule a tour and/or sea trial in early January. Was wondering if perhaps anyone in the area who's familiar with these boats might be interested in joining the adventure and help identify some things I should look for. I'd happily cover fuel charges and pay for a few pints at a local brewery to talk sailing :)

Thanks!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome

Wish I lived closer and I would enjoy the outing!
That's a great starter boat that you can grow into. Our prior boat, while not an Ericson, was an equally high quality 26 footer and we kept it for a happy decade.
That's a nice size vessel - both "big enough" and yet "not too big" for cruising solo or with a mate. The Bruce King design is still a fast sailing boat with a nice livable interior.

Welcome (potentially) to the Ericson group!
:egrin:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner

I've been looking for a good "starter" sailboat and recently found a 1985 Ericson 26-2 in Port Townsend. I'm planning to check it out and schedule a tour and/or sea trial in early January. Was wondering if perhaps anyone in the area who's familiar with these boats might be interested in joining the adventure and help identify some things I should look for. I'd happily cover fuel charges and pay for a few pints at a local brewery to talk sailing :)

Thanks!
Hello! And welcome to the forum.

I have a 1984 Ericson 26-2. I'd love to join you but I'm in Southern California. But here are a few things to look at on that boat:

(1) The 26-2, in common with a good number of the Ericsons, has a fabric liner. Make sure all the zippers work (though replacing them is not the worst job). In the vee berth the liner is not necessarily zippered (it isn't on my 1984) and this makes it difficult to re-bed hardware, which means that most previous owners will not have done so. It is pretty typical to have leaks from the bow pulpit and stanchions that drip water and cause damage to the liner. So inspect the entire vee berth area carefully. The tell-tale signs will be brown water stains, coupled with sagging of the liner.

(2) The teak and holly plywood sole in the cabin often gets wrecked on these boats and replacing them is a significant job. (I did mine a while back.) The problem is caused by the shallow bilge compartments that lead to water ingress on the untreated plywood, particularly when the boat heels over. You can tell if it's a problem easily enough: the floor will be discolored and spongy.

(3) Ericson used some very inferior plumbing valves on some of the thru hulls, specifically PVC valves (think lawn sprinkler system) that have no business on a boat. Mine had these in the head compartment, under the sink. I changed those out soon after buying my boat.

(4) The cockpit drain thru hulls, located on the transom, were made of inferior plastic that simply does not stand up to UV. If the ones on this boat are original, they may *appear* OK but be brittle and break with little provocation. If someone changed them out with Marelon or bronze fittings then all is well.

(5) If the boat was fitted with a Yanmar 1GM then I can give you a fair number of tips on what to look at when you inspect that engine. But I won't go into that here since there were several different engines that found their way into the 26-2 and there is no point in me mentioning such tips if they are not relevant.

Those are the only things that leap immediately into my mind that are E26-2 specific. You're looking at a 30 year-old boat, so you should consider all the typical stuff that would apply to *any* boat of that age. The boat has an encapsulated keel, by the way, so the condition of the keel bolts won't be an issue since it doesn't have any!

Good luck to you and report back.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner

Thanks!
Ok, so I just checked YachtWorld and I presume this is the boat: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/Ericson-26-2-2993455/Port-Townsend/WA/United-States

If so:

(1) Overall, it looks like a well-equipped, clean boat. I think the price is a bit on the high side, so you should be able to talk the seller down, if he's realistic. If my memory serves me, it's been listed on YachtWorld for quite a few months.

(2) The floor shows the tell-tale signs of damage, I'm afraid. That's what mine looked like before I ripped it out. Look at it carefully. I'd expect at least a $1000 reduction in price for the floor because the job is a real pain. The existing floor ain't gonna come out without a fight, and putting in a new one that looks really good is a significant piece of work. The old one will almost certainly come out in pieces, so you'll need to make a template for the new one.

(3) This model has the nice, full teak interior. Some later models (around 1986 maybe?) replaced some of the teak with carpeting and, IMHO, that does not look as good. The abundance of teak does make the cabin dark, but in this case the owner went with white cushions, which really helps.

(4) Ahhh....this one has a zipper in the liner in the vee berth. Good. Still, inspect it carefully for water damage.

(5) Lots of crazing on that small aft hatch; I can't see what the forward hatch looks like. Mine are like that, too, but on mine, at least, it's purely cosmetic. I'll deal with it sometime but it's not a high priority. Those are the old model (original) hatches, so just make sure they are water tight.

(6) The engine *is* a Yanmar 1GM10. This is a good engine overall. Mine has a 1GM, which is a few horsepower less than the 1GM10, which is identical in every respect to mine but with a larger cylinder bore to add a few ponies. (I just got a fabulous deal on a rebuilt 1GM10 off of eBay, by the way, which I'll be installing in my boat in June. I just fired it up for the first time in my driveway this afternoon, as a matter of fact.) Anyway, the 1GM/1GM10 has oil lines that can rust out if the water pump leaks, which the pump often does. So inspect the three oil lines on that engine for any significant rust. Fortunately, they are not terribly difficult to change. The little water pump on the 1GM is awful and needs to be rebuilt with some frequency. Also, the exhaust elbow needs regular inspection, and is of such a design that if it develops an internal hole in the inner tube, it can leak salt water into the cylinder--not good. However, you are not going to be able to inspect this as part of a survey, but if you do buy the boat you should pull the elbow and give it a good look. Otherwise, these are really simple and reliable little engines, even if a bit underpowered for a 5200# boat. The good news is that this boat has a 1GM10 and not the straight 1GM, so even though it's still a bit light on the HP side, it should be quite tolerable. I get by just fine with my 1GM but am looking forward to the extra kick in the pants that the 1GM10 will give me for little effort (being a drop-in replacement).

Overall, the boat looks like it has potential. Again, keep us posted.

Last edited:

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
A few things I've noticed.

If there's one thing I've learned while owning my 1980 25+ and getting advise on this site is that I should only be asking for advice and not giving it. There's just way to much to soak in, but I'll share a few issues I've had so far:
1.) Navtec rigging - I'm sure it was fantastic stuff at one point, but they are prone to galling and are extremely expensive to replace parts.
2.) Cabin top deck hardware - Ericson did an incredible job of keeping the core away from factory deck penetrations( no balsa around the chainplates, genoa tracks, and portlights) but they didn't make provisions for turning blocks, deck organizers, or cabin top winches. Making the problem worse, was a large void along the edge of the cabin top balsa core where the top skin bonds to the bottom skin. This allowed any water penetrating the laminate to travel and spread. I haven't noticed in the side decks, cockpit, or fore deck, but I'm working through some considerable damage on my cabin top.
3.) Wet rudder - the rudder can contact the hull if spun past apx 150 degrees in either direction which can result in a hole along the top edge of the rudder. If it's like mine, the rudder also wasn't completely filed with foam so the water that entered just sat in the void.

Other than that, it has been a great boat and I can't find anything within 15k I would rather have. The one in Port townsend looks excellent and the few 26-2s I've seen addressed most of the problems I've had. One of the most comfortable boats to single hand.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looks like a nice boat.

And many members replace their crazed acrylic hatches. It's a one-day do-it-yourself job.

matthidinger

Thanks so much for the tips everyone -- it is much appreciated!

So I went to check her out today and overall she was in great condition but -- this this is a big but -- they wouldn't start the engine for me, claiming that over the last few days they had issues getting her to full RPM. In fact it was well below max RPM, maxing out around 2300. They pulled the boat and did a prop alignment as well as a few other adjustments to the engine but still aren't "satisfied" with the engine. Of course, neither am I. The broker said their mechanic is going to continue working on it until she's back to normal, but suffice to say I'm a little worried. The engine is obviously why this otherwise pristine boat has remained on the market for the past few months.

Elsehwere, the rigging was in "ok" condition. The spreaders were very visibly corroded even from deck level. The mast looked pretty worn down. But I'm definitely a sailing neophyte so hard for me to judge unless I get a good surveyor out here, which I plan to do if they get the engine in good working condition.

That said, this is obviously a red flag for me, but if the mechanic is able to get the engine cold starting regularly, and demonstrates it running at max RPM (3600) for ~5mins with no obvious smoke, heat, or noise, would I be taking an inordinate risk with this boat?

Thanks all for your continued guidance!

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Thanks so much for the tips everyone -- it is much appreciated!

So I went to check her out today and overall she was in great condition but -- this this is a big but -- they wouldn't start the engine for me, claiming that over the last few days they had issues getting her to full RPM. In fact it was well below max RPM, maxing out around 2300. They pulled the boat and did a prop alignment as well as a few other adjustments to the engine but still aren't "satisfied" with the engine. Of course, neither am I. The broker said their mechanic is going to continue working on it until she's back to normal, but suffice to say I'm a little worried. The engine is obviously why this otherwise pristine boat has remained on the market for the past few months.

Elsehwere, the rigging was in "ok" condition. The spreaders were very visibly corroded even from deck level. The mast looked pretty worn down. But I'm definitely a sailing neophyte so hard for me to judge unless I get a good surveyor out here, which I plan to do if they get the engine in good working condition.

That said, this is obviously a red flag for me, but if the mechanic is able to get the engine cold starting regularly, and demonstrates it running at max RPM (3600) for ~5mins with no obvious smoke, heat, or noise, would I be taking an inordinate risk with this boat?

Thanks all for your continued guidance!
Hi, Matt. Since no one chimed in yet I'll give you my take on it, for what it's worth.

The 1GM is, in general, a very simple and reliable little engine. As for what is causing the issue with this particular one, there are quite a few causes for a failure to hit the target rpm so there's no point in speculating. Some fixes might be simple enough, others not so much. I confess, though, that the description of what they have done so far doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

What in the world does the broker mean by a "prop alignment"? First of all, is it not hitting 3600 rpm (or more) in neutral, or is the problem only in gear? If it can't make top rpm in neutral, then the problem is not in the drive train at all. But if there is misalignment between the transmission output flange and the prop shaft coupling, that is handled with the boat in the water and does not require hauling the boat. In fact, you really want to do it with the boat in the water and not on the hard because a boat on the jack stands may be somewhat tweaked. So, for example, when I replace my engine this June, we'll do an alignment with the boat on the hard (to get it in the ballpark), let it settle in the water for a few days, and then re-align it with the boat in the water. In any case, the engine/transmission to prop shaft coupling alignment has zero to do with the prop, and so referring to it as a "prop alignment"--if that's what he had in mind--makes no sense.

If there were something actually involving the prop that would keep the engine from hitting above only 2300 rpm, there would be so much vibration that there would be no doubt the problem was somewhere in the drive train, e.g., a bent prop shaft, damage to the prop, etc. The symptoms would not be subtle.

Here's the bottom line, as I see it, Matt. To have complete peace of mind on this, you really need three surveys done by three different people: (1) An engine survey; (2) A rigging survey; (3) A vessel survey.

The surveyor who does the vessel survey is not going to climb the rig to look at the spreaders, rigging connections, or anything else. He may sight the rig at deck level, but obviously that precludes a careful inspection of everything. To really inspect it you'll need a rigger to go aloft and look it over. Likewise, the vessel surveyor is not going to go over the engine carefully. You need a good mechanic to do this.

It is important not to use the surveyor(s) that the broker may wish to provide. You want a good surveyor(s) that *you* hire so there are no conflict of interests. A surveyor is looking out for your interests and has no vested interested whether the sale goes through. In fact, you are paying him to talk you out of it if the vessel's conditions warrants it. I'd suggest you check with others on this list for recommendations for good surveyors in each of the 3 categories I mentioned, who operate in your area.

The boat does look nice from the photos, but the asking price is high, in my opinion. If the engine problem is truly a recent development, the high price could account for why the boat hasn't yet sold. Good engine or not, I'd certainly be offering less than $16,500 for this boat.

Here are my general conclusions, FWIW--assuming you are interested in proceeding with the boat if everything can be addressed to your satisfaction:

(1) Tell the broker that once the engine issues are addressed and a definitive fix is made, then he can give you a call and you can pick up with your negotiations on the boat. This is something that the owner has to fix one way or the other anyway, so once he does, the broker can let you know.

(2) I would probably not stress too much over the rigging for this reason: Unless I had good reason to know that the boat was re-rigged fairly recently (e.g., in the last 5 or 6 yrs. or so), I have made it a practice to replace the standing rigging when I buy a new (to me) boat so I know exactly what I've got holding up the mast. While it's true that a rigger can go aloft and visually inspect the swage fittings et al., it is sometimes hard to discern latent flaws. I just like to start from a known good place and then do maintenance from that point on. I should hasten to add that many will disagree with me on this because it may seem like an unnecessary expense if the rigging still has some life left in it. So I'm certainly not dogmatic on this and mine is no doubt a minority opinion. But if you can negotiate a good price on the boat then you might want to put the savings toward a re-rig. If you went that route you would probably not need to go with a rigging survey--though you could see if a rigger would survey it with the understanding that if you did use him for a re-rig that he would apply what you paid for the survey toward the cost of the re-rig. (Not sure if any of them would agree to that but you could always ask.)

(3) After the engine is ostensibly repaired, have an engine survey done. Of course, all surveys are done once the seller has agreed to your offer and the sale is moving foward, "pending survey."

Let us know what happens! And I'm sure others can offer some good thoughts for you.

matthidinger

What in the world does the broker mean by a "prop alignment"? First of all, is it not hitting 3600 rpm (or more) in neutral, or is the problem only in gear? If it can't make top rpm in neutral, then the problem is not in the drive train at all. But if there is misalignment between the transmission output flange and the prop shaft coupling, that is handled with the boat in the water and does not require hauling the boat. In fact, you really want to do it with the boat in the water and not on the hard because a boat on the jack stands may be somewhat tweaked. So, for example, when I replace my engine this June, we'll do an alignment with the boat on the hard (to get it in the ballpark), let it settle in the water for a few days, and then re-align it with the boat in the water. In any case, the engine/transmission to prop shaft coupling alignment has zero to do with the prop, and so referring to it as a "prop alignment"--if that's what he had in mind--makes no sense.

I'm pretty sure she was just guessing or misinterpreting what the mechanic told the owner, or (hopefully not) trying to mislead me. She said she would call me back with specific mechanic results after he took it out the water in the next few days.

Here's the bottom line, as I see it, Matt. To have complete peace of mind on this, you really need three surveys done by three different people: (1) An engine survey; (2) A rigging survey; (3) A vessel survey.

(2) I would probably not stress too much over the rigging for this reason: Unless I had good reason to know that the boat was re-rigged fairly recently (e.g., in the last 5 or 6 yrs. or so), I have made it a practice to replace the standing rigging when I buy a new (to me) boat so I know exactly what I've got holding up the mast. While it's true that a rigger can go aloft and visually inspect the swage fittings et al., it is sometimes hard to discern latent flaws. I just like to start from a known good place and then do maintenance from that point on. I should hasten to add that many will disagree with me on this because it may seem like an unnecessary expense if the rigging still has some life left in it. So I'm certainly not dogmatic on this and mine is no doubt a minority opinion. But if you can negotiate a good price on the boat then you might want to put the savings toward a re-rig. If you went that route you would probably not need to go with a rigging survey--though you could see if a rigger would survey it with the understanding that if you did use him for a re-rig that he would apply what you paid for the survey toward the cost of the re-rig. (Not sure if any of them would agree to that but you could always ask.)

I think this is pretty good advice. I'll do the vessel and engine survey for sure, as the rig looks pretty old as-is, might be worth just investing the rigging survey money on replacing it.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I'm pretty sure she was just guessing or misinterpreting what the mechanic told the owner, or (hopefully not) trying to mislead me. She said she would call me back with specific mechanic results after he took it out the water in the next few days.

I think this is pretty good advice. I'll do the vessel and engine survey for sure, as the rig looks pretty old as-is, might be worth just investing the rigging survey money on replacing it.
Very good, Matt. The Ericson 26 is a good, honest boat and I don't think you'd be sorry with it, if you can get these issues sorted out satisfactorily.

Hopefully some others on the list who are local to you can give some recommendations on a really good surveyor, mechanic, and rigger for the inspections you need. I know Brion Toss is up that way and he is highly reputed among riggers, though he may not be cheap. An Ericson 26 is a pretty small, simple boat with a simple rig, so maybe it won't be too costly. Anyway, others on the list may weigh in with suggestions. In effect, you need to do a "survey of surveyors." Simply because the surveyor is "accredited" doesn't guarantee that he or she is any good. I've had good surveyors and others that were pretty bad. A competent surveyor is definitely worth is, as he/she can find issues that will help in negotiating down the price or at least alert you to what you will be facing if you go ahead with the deal.

Get back to us with an update....

matthidinger

I just heard back from the broker with "great results on a SUPER cold start"

The hand-written report says the engine achieved max RPM out of gear @ 3600. In gear it maxed 2950 tied to dock, and 3000-3200 in open water. He did note that "white smoke is condensation, not fuel or oil." It's not clear if the white smoke was there persistently or not? If so, that sounds unusual right? The condensation should clear after running a short while I thought.

Does anything about that seem like a deal breaker? Otherwise I think I'll move forward with a surveyor and mechanic to check it out. And if anyone has last-minute advice on negotiating the offer I'd be all ears -- first time after all :)

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I just heard back from the broker with "great results on a SUPER cold start"

The hand-written report says the engine achieved max RPM out of gear @ 3600. In gear it maxed 2950 tied to dock, and 3000-3200 in open water. He did note that "white smoke is condensation, not fuel or oil." It's not clear if the white smoke was there persistently or not? If so, that sounds unusual right? The condensation should clear after running a short while I thought.

Does anything about that seem like a deal breaker? Otherwise I think I'll move forward with a surveyor and mechanic to check it out. And if anyone has last-minute advice on negotiating the offer I'd be all ears -- first time after all :)
Hello, Matt. And thanks for the updated report.

A few thoughts:

(1) The engine really should be able to hit closer to 3600 rpm in gear, when under way. I'd say it should be able to get within 100 to 150 rpm or so of that. If the engine is truly only hitting "3000-3200 in open water," then something is wrong, though it may not be an issue with the engine at all. It could very likely be that the prop has too much pitch (or possibly is fouled with growth). The pitch can be changed relatively inexpensively. That said, you should also know that if they were basing their numbers on the tach on the instrument panel, you can pretty well bet it is wrong. On my 1GM it reads about 200-250 rpm too low in the range they are talking about. The 1GM10 I currently have in my garage is similarly off, and in the same direction. (This is when compared to a laser tach, which measures real rpm). Thus, while the boat may be over propped, it is not quite as bad as it sounds--assuming that tach is like the ones on both of my engines. If it actually did hit 3200 on the tach, it could be that it is actually hitting 3400 or so--still too low, but not quite as bad. If it can only hit 3000 (the lower number you were given), well that's not so good. Again, it could be too much pitch, or perhaps the prop is fouled with growth. If you went forward with an engine survey, your mechanic can check how far off the tach is quite easily. Also, if the engine smokes excessively when wound up to this 3000-3200 number (i.e., on the instrument tach) then that again suggests that the boat is over propped. There could be other causes as well, so you could see what the mechanic thinks.

(2) Regarding the smoke/steam issue: My 1GM does the same thing to some degree, depending particularly on the humidity. You can tell the difference between smoke and steam because smoke hangs in the air whereas steam dissipates quickly. At the same time, my engine most certainly does not run too hot; it is a very coldblooded beast, actually. Maybe someone else on the list (Guy Stevens?) can speak to this. It's never posed a problem for me when it does happen. If you are having an engine survey, perhaps the mechanic can be with you on the sea trial so he can see it under way?

Hope this helps somewhat.

--Alan

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
At an asking price of 16,500, the owner is probably expecting to get 15,000 max. The broker, if there is one, takes 10 percent--often with a minimum of 3K (around here, at least).

Just the general situation. Boats are hard to sell and owners have to pay slip fees while waiting. On the market a long time means motivation. Lots of interest? Not so much.

A broker can usually look up the average sales price of a boat for you, which helps get a line on comparative value. But prices vary a lot region to region.

It seems to me that if you like a boat, and do the proper diligence as you clearly are, a thousand dollars or so either way is not very important.

In fact, it's peanuts compared to the happy costs of ownership.

But the forum is free.

Steve Kendall

Hi friends, just joined site this a.m, looking forward to any/all re Ericson dialogue, previously owned and lived aboard Ericson 36C, "Blue Jeans".....I've been following E26-2 story (Matt/Port Townsend), curious how your possible purchase journey turned out, Matt, any words of wisdom to pass along to date? I don't recall any discussion specifically re deck-stepped mast and possible moisture/spongy deck issues re core compromised there...I only mention it here because of boat's age.....Best going forward....

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Hey Matt,

I haven't been keeping up with the site for a while and just noticed your post. If you haven't bought this thing yet and are still looking at it, I'm in Port Townsend and would be happy to cast an eye over it with you. I had an E27 for over 20 years and currently have an E35 - 3 in Port Townsend. The 26-2 is a nice little boat if its in decent shape.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

matthidinger

Thank you everyone for the help along the way! I ended up going a different direction and purchased a Nonsuch 26 up on Lopez Island. Eager to bring her home to Seattle in a month or so.

Happy sailing!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thank you everyone for the help along the way! I ended up going a different direction and purchased a Nonsuch 26 up on Lopez Island. Eager to bring her home to Seattle in a month or so.

Happy sailing!

Good quality boats.
We owned a Hinterhoeller Niagara 26 for ten years. Fast and well built.

Cheers...

Steve Kendall

Good quality boats.
We owned a Hinterhoeller Niagara 26 for ten years. Fast and well built.

Cheers...

Hi Matt....I've been following along with you re E26-2 journey, had an earlier interest in the boat myself, decided to watch you from a distance vis-a-vis forum entries until such time you made your decision...That said, and given you've moved on, can you please share with me what prompted you to step back from the 26?....I suspect , do to boat's age, it was probably cumulative across a broad spectrum of issues, with maybe 1-2 standing out more than others?.....Was there a survey of hull or rig or engine, perhaps?.....Would appreciate any words of wisdom, and thank you......

Nonsuch 26 is an awesome little cruiser, love the Ultra....

Thanks again..../Steve