• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E26 - removing backstay / supporting mast

vasuvius

Member II
My boat club hoist size/spec requires that I disconnect the back stay when hauling out. I've never done this or seen it done.
What is the safest way to keep the mast supported and prevent from falling forward? I am thinking I could use the main halyard and the spare halyard cleated off somewhere aft.
Any better recommendations?

Thanks

Second Star

Member III
Our club uses the same method.
Many here use the main halyard hauled tight to a suitable fitting on the transom until they reach the point of fitting the slings then remove it. This is because we have to move out around our breakwater to reach the crane. Any pitching or rolling is a nerve wracking experience!
Others fit the main halyard to one side or the other using one of the moveable fittings on the genoa track. Generally this places the line only a few feet aft of the main shrouds and to one side. This can sometimes be left in place if the spreading bar of the lifting arrangement isn't obstructed.
Once into the stands the backstay is reconnected but not significantly tensioned.

vasuvius

Member II
Our club uses the same method.
Many here use the main halyard hauled tight to a suitable fitting on the transom until they reach the point of fitting the slings then remove it. This is because we have to move out around our breakwater to reach the crane. Any pitching or rolling is a nerve wracking experience!
Others fit the main halyard to one side or the other using one of the moveable fittings on the genoa track. Generally this places the line only a few feet aft of the main shrouds and to one side. This can sometimes be left in place if the spreading bar of the lifting arrangement isn't obstructed.
Once into the stands the backstay is reconnected but not significantly tensioned.

Thanks. If I bring the halyards all the way back to the transom it will get caught up in the hoist the same as the backstay. I think I'll end up using the cleats aft of the jibsheet winches. 1 on each side should hopefully keep it balanced. This will be for a short time - soon as the boat is on the cradle and moved to it's space for the winter, I can reattach the boom and the backstay.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you tie it temporarily to the traveler car, it will be plenty strong enough. Or to a block on a genoa track. Our stanchion bases are installed with an SS backing plate, and I would guess that yours are too --- clip it to one of those.

vasuvius

Member II
If you tie it temporarily to the traveler car, it will be plenty strong enough. Or to a block on a genoa track. Our stanchion bases are installed with an SS backing plate, and I would guess that yours are too --- clip it to one of those.
Thanks Loren.