• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Factory compass placement, best place for line in LA area,

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
My E27 Roxanne has several 5 inch holes in the bulkhead where navigation aids once were. I have the right compass but does it go right, left, or center?

Also, can anyone recommend the best place to purchase line? I am starting with the topping lift and main halyard. I chose the topping lift so the boom does not crack some one in the head and the main halyard, 1. so as to not be without a main 2. so that I can use a bosuns chair to do much needed work on the various fixtures at the spreaders and above. I was thinking a quick release spliced to the main (I will tie the chair) and a bolt/screw shackle for the topping lift. Thoughts?

After years of sailing tiny boats and 20 years rowing a 37ft boat for a living I am at a loss to express how much fun I am having with this E27. Its like having a new girlfriend, always thinking about her and finding the funds, and excuses, to buy her things and clearing the decks to carve more time to take her out. I have solo'd twice to Two Harbors and have practiced my solo anchoring in the lee of Island White in Long Beach Harbor as well as days of sailing with friends and family. I am sure that I am preaching to the choir but, Lordy! I can't get enough.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Internet is the best deal for line, Defender Industries being a common first stop (although I like to patronize my local West Marine when possible).

E27 owners will know the correct line size, or the best options. I personally believe in screw-in halyard shackles, because push-turn shackles can come undone. The topping lift needs a screw shackle too.

racushman

O34 - Los Angeles
I just bought some line from this company which was a very good deal and the product seems to be of good quality: https://www.e-rigging.com/Rope_c_4060.html

I haven't used it long enough to opine on how it wears, but if budget is a primary consideration then it's worth a try. If price isn't a priority, I agree with Christian that Defender is my preferred supplier.

Gaviate

Member III
Like Guzzi, My original compass occupies the starboard cabin top. And I always thought it was rope until you tied it to something, then it is magically transformed into line:)

dofthesea

Member I
Try Mauripro for running rigging. They were very helpful, they also know what the line lengths should be. When you log in you can start a running chat with alive rep hell know which halyards, sheets and other length should be. I shopped here before I started just patronizing my local chandlery.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
So...I think I have found a good website for line. Ex. at West Marine New England ropes 3/8th poly dbl braid. $1.49ft I found 3/8 poly etc for $0.45. Both have breaking strength of 4400#. Also 1/2 inch for $0.76 @7800# vs $1.99 at Westmarine for1/2 New England Rope. 5/8 for $1.16 @12000# vs west marine New England 5/8 for $2.79

Here is the cordage link, the listings for the CWC products are about a quarter way down the page. https://www.westechrigging.com/rope---cordage.html It almost seems to good to be true... but before I buy... if someone knows any downside I would be grateful for your opinions

wynkoop

Member III
I do not think there was a factory standard for instrument placement.

When I got Silver Maiden she had a compass on the starboard cabin bulkhead in the middle and on the port side was the knot meter and the depth sounder. This arrangement makes sense as the port side is where the electrical panel is located and you do not want the compass near the magnetic fields generated by current flow through the wires.

Now she has a new compass on the starboard side and a new knotmeter on the port side, but no depth sounder because I can not get the Norcross marine unit I bought to work and I can not get any tech support from Norcross Marine. I would never buy a Norcross product again.

Gaviate

Member III
There are, I've found, several variations of "braided" rope. If it doesn't say "double braid" don't buy it....unless of course you don't want double braid...but for running rigging I would have nothing other than just that, "double braid". Runs smoothly (mostly) through blocks and sheaves, seldom turns into a narly knotted mess, and takes the abuse from cam cleats and clutches with hardly a care.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
should be 5/16” for your halyard. can buy it pre-made from defender: