E27 Interior modifications?

Prestonrockstar

Hi all,

I have had my 74 E27 for about a year now and I'm still surprised that I don't really see any interior modifications out there by others. Such as widening a settee, or building a custom table, or crazy stuff like perhaps moving the bulkhead backward to shrink the salon and lengthen the vbirth (I'm sure most of that is structural so maybe can't be done). I scored my boat for almost nothing so I'm looking for ideas on increasing the comfort of living on a small boat like this for the next few years, before I'm ready to upgrade to a true liveaboard size. I would love to see links and photos of projects of all kinds!

cowlum

I built a removable double bed in the main room. Essentially the port side interior cushion is placed alongside the starboard to make one wide berth. When I cruise with my partner this bed stays in place the whole time. At most other times its back to the traditional berth layout.
I've also added lee cloths with the dream of long distance sailing but really they just stop my bags falling on the floor :)

I've owned my boat 5 years and spent 8 months total cruising on it and have not felt the need to modify things much.

I could get some photos of the double bed setup if you're interested.

Prestonrockstar

I would love to see photo's. Right now I am thinking about hinging a piece of plywood along side the startboard settee, so that when not used, it hinges down vertical, not really taking up much leg room, and when in use, swings up with a couple spring legs. And using the port side cushion. Essentially exactly how the original table operates.

cowlum

I have a small wooden beam that runs from the companionway step to a support on the toilet bulkhead. Between the beam and the starboard settee I have wooden slats stolen from a normal bed frame. When not in use, the beam lies in the stern quarter berth and the slats are placed into one of the starboard settee storage compartments. I'll get some photos within the week. Now that I have to take photos I wished I'd tidied up some of the rough edges :) but its still a nice setup..

cowlum

Wow. That's stunning, you're obviously a talented wood worker.
I think I'll copy that step into the forward berth. Save my shins.

A little thread drift here.. How is the electric setup?
My atomic is in A1 condition but like any engine requires a fair amount of pampering, thru-hulls, heat exchangers and other complicated garbage.

Prestonrockstar

Mark, that is absolutely excellent. I'll be seriously looking at these photo's as guides! Seriously thank you for sharing those. I love the cabinetry especially down the port side. So inviting.

Cowlum - I added a step up into my v-birth exactly like Mark did, except I didn't enclose it with the vertical piece, so my step is quite a bit thicker for strength. It's a dramatic improvement getting out especially. Do it :)

My electrics seem like a mess to me. It all works, even the original '74 radio, but wires are just everywhere, and it took a while to find a few drains on the batteries. Last month I replaced all the ground wires which fixed the motor from not starting all of a sudden. I'm slowly replacing everything and as I do, routing them nice and clean. I opted for building a tall aft mount for my solar panel because I don't have a dodger to lay flexibles.

My A1 I would say mine is in good condition. I bought the boat in March and I didn't trust it fully until about August last summer because it was overheating drastically. So many trouble shooting steps, replacing things, many calls with Bill at Moyer Marine...and after all the headache, it was the simplest thing, and also my original gut feeling that I ignored. The temp gauge was bad. /facepalm. But in all that, I got real familiar with taking apart the pumps, inspecting all the cooling passages, and understanding the freshwater cooling system. The cooling system, the T valve, and the path of flow was the hardest thing for my brain. But eventually the light bulb turned on. Pretty simple engine after I wrapped my brain around it. Haven't had to worry or mess with through hulls yet. I was told if they aren't turning pink they're fine.

Attachments

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks for the compliments. The v-birth step and galley extension were particularly useful additions. Turns out redoing the v-birth (ceilings?) was one of the best changes. I used to store stuff up there but after putting all the work into the refit i actually use it as a birth now and keep it clean!