• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Leaky Window

Matt Gaspers

I recently purchased a 1976 E27 and it has a leaky window, it’s the small window by the head. Is this reseal able or does it need to be replaced and if replaced where can I find this?:confused:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:oops:ffice:oops:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

selous

Inactive Member
Hi,just do a search for leaky portlights on this site and you'll find all you'r answers.But if it is one of the original Ericson portlights and is not corroded or bent beyond use you can remove it ,scrape off all the old sealer and re - seal with butyl tape available from any R.V or mobile home store online. In fact while you're at it do a search for posts by Mainsail on this subject and you'll find a great tutorial step by step on how to replace porlights..

Last edited:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Matt,

If your leak is the seal between the sliding glass pieces you might want to replace it with a fixed port. You have the overhead hatch in the head so you should have plenty of ventilation. Someone here might have one of the small fixed E27 ports that they could sell to you.

Or check the last post in this thread;

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=8693

japerra

Member II
Head Portlight

I recently purchased a 1976 E27 and it has a leaky window, it’s the small window by the head. Is this reseal able or does it need to be replaced and if replaced where can I find this?:confused:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:oops:ffice:oops:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Hi Matt,

I recently re-bedded the head port-light in my 78 E27. This was the first time I tackled a port-light re-seal and it was a learning experience. I will need to re-bed the remaining windows on the boat at some point and will tackle this much larger task with a little more confidence now that I have gotten some experience.
The head port-light needed some real clean up but was quite easy to disassemble once off of the boat. The seal between the panes of glass isn't completely water tight since I had to remove the soft, "furry" seal that runs in the track (This was completely rotted out) but this has only been an issue when washing the boat and dumping buckets of water over the port-light itself. Otherwise there have been no issues from rain or spray.

James