• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Masthead Sheave Question

dt222

Member III
I believe that my halyards have jumped the sheaves. I was trying to change jibs and it got stuck halfway down. I convinced the admiral to go up the mast (she was NOT too pleased) to take a look at it. She did not go all of the way up, but was within arms reach. I know that the sheaves are 2 sets of parrallel wheels. My question is do the halyards span 2 wheels or one? I only have a jib and main, no spinnaker, and plan on making another trip to the top tomorrow. When I was letting her down, as the main halyard came down, the jib went halfway up and stayed there.

Thanks for any insights.

Emerald

Couple thoughts that change the answer(s). Halyards can be run externally or internally with the return side down the mast. If your halyards are external, they will go up over the top of the mast by running over a pair of sheaves, one on the forward and the other aft sides of the mast. If the halyards are internal, they will run up and over either a fore (jib) or aft (main) sheave and back down inside the mast and out an exit at deck level. Now, based on what you describe at the end of the jib going up as the main was coming down, makes me think your halyards are run internally and are criss-crossed and binding on each other. Does this match your setup? Also, as you talk about going up in a chair, don't use the shackle to clip on to - tie a good knot like a bowline instead - I've had a shackle rip out of the end of an old halyard, luckily while under sail, not in a bosun's chair. And, if if you have one available, run a second halyard as safety.

dt222

Member III
Thanks for the advice.

David,

Thanks for the advice. My halyards are run externally. When I got to the top, the halyards were not only crossed, but a thin stainless steel spacer between the 2 sets had been scored/cut to the point that the jib halyard was caught in the cut. New sheaves/spacer has been added to the after season list.