• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Port Light Replacement

ragamuffin

Member II
I want to replace the forward port lights on ragamuffin has anyone done this on a 27? I would like opening ports on both sides (currently my head window is stuck closed), and maybe even add 2 in the v berth area. I only have one hatch and want more ventilation.

waterpilot

Navigator
Ahoy Ragamuffin,

You'll want to look closely at the portlights that are available and buy the best your budget will allow. I've found the ones that most closely approximate original equipment are made by Lewmar . . . and they're probably the best made of the lot. We've never had a gasket or weatherseal come off a Lewmar and the company stands behind their products. Look in the West Marine catalog online (westmarine.com) or cruise one of their stores. I think there may be one Lewmar size that's an exact (or almost) replacement.

If you're going to add portlights, remember there's an air gap between the liner and the trunk cabin shell. Once you've made your cutout, fill the gap with a bead of silicone all around to stiffen the liner. It'll help you not compress the liner hard against the shell and, downstream, should the seal between frame and cabin side fail, you won't have so much free water show up in some strange place inside the boat. Good luck with your project!

Sven

Seglare
I want to replace the forward port lights on ragamuffin has anyone done this on a 27? I would like opening ports on both sides (currently my head window is stuck closed), and maybe even add 2 in the v berth area. I only have one hatch and want more ventilation.

I'd suggest NewFoundMetals ... We had a big one professionally installed as a replacement for the sliding aluminum RV window in the cockpit. We also just installed a 4"x14" ourselves in the footwell. We have the remaining 6 at home waiting to be installed in the head and main cabin. Some pics of the 4"x14" installation at

http://picasaweb.google.com/sven.grenander/PortholeAndStuff7112010?feat=directlink

-Sven

ragamuffin

Member II
I'd suggest NewFoundMetals ... We had a big one professionally installed as a replacement for the sliding aluminum RV window in the cockpit. We also just installed a 4"x14" ourselves in the footwell. We have the remaining 6 at home waiting to be installed in the head and main cabin. Some pics of the 4"x14" installation at

http://picasaweb.google.com/sven.grenander/PortholeAndStuff7112010?feat=directlink

-Sven

Thanks Sven those are sweet! What do they cost? The install instructions where very in depth.

Sven

Seglare
Thanks Sven those are sweet! What do they cost? The install instructions where very in depth.

The prices are on their web pages. I think the 4x14 is about $200 ea. and once you add screen, teak trim ring, screws and butyl tape and shipping you're getting closer to $300 ea. The big one was really expensive, almost three times as much but when you see it you get the feeling the whole boat is unsinkable :)

My only real complaint is that the teak trim rings are not of the same quality as the portholes. 4 out of the 8 we got looked like they had either been routed with a dull bit or when the wood was wet ... the rounded corners were shaggy. At first NFM said they'd replace them but two (?) months later they say they don't have any to replace them with and that finishing is left to the customer. We did finish the ones that were good, we sanded them down and varnished them. I'm not sure how to get rid of the teak shag/hair other than re-routing with a sharp bit. Maybe if we varnish the hair is will get firm enough so we can sand them smooth ... definitely not acceptable.

-Sven

stuartm80127

Member II
E27 Portlights

I installed Lewmar Ocean Series portlights up forward on my E27. Worked great this past summer. When installing, I had to widen the holes with a jigsaw(metal blade). Then I taped off inside and out and then added West Epoxy with the colloidal thickener into the gaps all around the window. Then faired two days later. Bedded with polysulphide. They added excellent ventillation for the head and up forward.

Stuart

Attachments

• Lewmar portlight.jpg
    Lewmar portlight.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 258

stuartm80127

Member II
Lewmar portlight for E27

Hi, apologies for not getting back sooner. Standard portlight Lewmar

4R LW393442500
4L LW393122500

I ordered ivory color plastic trim for inside but think white would look even better. Outside is as-pictured

I had to slightly increase hole size but it was totally worth it. Ventillation increased greatly up forward.