• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Swim Ladders

shard7

1974 E27 'Bluey'
My daughters are thrilled about the idea of swimming in Lake Union from our 1974 E27, but alas it currently lacks a swim ladder.

I'm looking for suggestions and inspiration around the types of ladders and where/how to mount them on an E27. I'm currently leaning towards a folding (and removable) ladder like this mounted amidship, but also wondering whether one on the transom would be better since it won't interfere with docking.

1657223094275.png

Thanks in advance for your input!

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
I have a ladder that attaches to the starboard stern quarter railing. It puts a lot of strain on the railing and the deck. I think the one you're looking at would work well.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
It's easier to climb the ladder if it has at least two steps in the water. A rope ladder can be hard on the feet if it doesn't have wooden slats on the steps.
A stainless steel ladder mounted on the transom can work well if you don't have to climb over a pushpit/stern railing and don't have interference from a backstay.
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here is ours, added by me many years ago.
If you search the site for 'swim ladders' there are a number of threads and blog entries. I also added a similar ss ladder to our previous 26 foot sailboat.

shard7

1974 E27 'Bluey'
Here is ours, added by me many years ago.
If you search the site for 'swim ladders' there are a number of threads and blog entries. I also added a similar ss ladder to our previous 26 foot sailboat.
That is very slick, I love how it effectively it becomes part of the railing when folded up!

LameBMX

Member II
Ill have to snap a pic of the transom ladder on my 28+ (our transoms appear to look similar), and grab the rail height measurement. I had no issues using it from a 7ft john boat to carry a 3hp motor up, under the railing and into the cockpit. I'm only 5'8" though. Hopefully I remember to clean the bugs before taking a pic. Wasn't until I got the john boat that I realized how dirty the back of the boat looked from a couple feet away.

dcoyle

Member III
I have that ladder on my E33, the PO installed it before my purchase in 2003. I have replaced the rubber feet a few times but otherwise it has been a good ladder with 3 kids growing up using it along with my wife and me. The deck hardware was not bedded correctly so I had to dig out some wet core and rebed with butyl tape. I think you will be happy with it.

shard7

1974 E27 'Bluey'
Thanks everyone for all the helpful guidance and suggestions, really appreciate it! I'm going with the ladder in the photo, mounted starboard amidships. It'll extend about 50" below the deck, with about 14" and two steps in the water.

I'll post photos of the install in case that might be helpful to others.

Gaviate

Member III
My 27 had the same ladder setup on starboard just forward of center on cockpit. It was removable as in photo. I ultimately installed a folding ladder on transom just so I didn't have to store ladder in cabin whilst sailing and I prefer not to leave ladder in water while moored (not a docker) as it will get things growing on it just like the hull. So either folding or removable are important considerations.
I've boarded from both positions and actually found that amidships was easier if seas are up tho I wouldn't expect heavy seas if your enjoying an afternoon swim in some cove!
Cheers!

CPS

Speaking of swim ladders, can anyone identify what ladder these anchor points may have been for? They are on the starboard side of my 1974 E27. Thanks for any leads!

20220902_120641.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Speaking of swim ladders, can anyone identify what ladder these anchor points may have been for? They are on the starboard side of my 1974 E27. Thanks for any leads!

View attachment 44233
Deck note: Another (optional in that era) base for a stanchion. That provided a place for a "gate" in the lifeline system, adjacent to the cockpit.

And yes, those little bases on the hull were for a clip-on boarding/swiming ladder. That ladder might be buried somewhere deep in a lazaretto.
Maybe.

Reactions: CPS