• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Various questions

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
Good Morning,

I hope this beautiful morning finds you all well. Here are a few questions I hope you can help with

1. How much play should I have on my back stay, perhaps in inches? My jib will sometime do a kind of rhythmic pumping. Is that purely an issue of car adjustment or would a loose back stay allow the forestay to slack and thus the jib halyard to slack as well?

2. Roxanne suffers from wire bundle in mast syndrome which creates the sound of a slack halyard at anchor. Before I make an attempt at securing it can anyone recommend a good method?

3. The original information plate (with the helmet logo, alas) was replaced during a refit in 2003. Is anyone familiar with the name J. Baldwin?

4. After several searches my Ericson serial number has not jumped out at me. Roxanne has a cut away stern with a heavy door that slides into place. Below that a motor mount for a Yamaha 25 may be covering the SN. The VIN on the plate bears no resemblance to....um...anything I can fathom. The two locations of the SN are the stern and the interior motor mount, is this correct?

PXL_20210726_215837324.jpg

5. I have a Whale secondary hand bilge pump. Any suggestions on where I should mount it.

6. The head and galley pump handles leak and need replaced. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced and easily installed foot pump system?

7. How would one go about inspecting the state of the rudder tiller system. There are no issues but it seems to be the case for most vessels that the rudder is fine until it isn't. I imagine there isn't much that can be inspected short of a haul out.

8. The out board gear and throttle cables recently failed gloriously right after shoving off the dock. Standing there, while the wind blew me towards my neighbors, inspiration had me unfurl the jib which gave me enough way to escape the vicinity and miss the stern of the last vessel in the line by one foot. Two men in a powerboat were mercifully on hand and towed me with enough speed that I was able to coast between the docks and back into my slip. I purchased a set of universal cables, opened every thing, installed the 14ft lines and buttoned her up. Now it all works perfectly. No questions to ask, just wanted to report how disconcertingly easy it was. The new parts performed well on last weekends Emerald bay excursion (#10 to the island since getting Roxanne!).

Any help on the above is appreciated.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Regarding your point #3, I wonder if it might be this J. Baldwin: https://atomvoyages.com/. He does refits on smaller boats, though I don't think he's based in this area. Still, it's a possibility.

He also has a two-part article on fabricating an outboard motor well for an Alberg 30. (Sept.-Oct. and Nov.-Dec. 2018 issues of Good Old Boat.)

Gaviate

Member III
2. Roxanne suffers from wire bundle in mast syndrome which creates the sound of a slack halyard at anchor. Before I make an attempt at securing it can anyone recommend a good method?
Emgee has this same affliction, a mooring neighbor suggested stuffing mast with sponges at next un-stepping. I thanked him without informing him that I planned to unstep the mast....well never actually.
Pondering this since, I am considering installing an access port at base of mast and stuffing sponges from there...not very high on the priority list tho.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
5. I have a Whale secondary hand bilge pump. Any suggestions on where I should mount it.

Anywhere in reach of the helm. It's crucial to be able to steer and pump at the same time.

6. The head and galley pump handles leak and need replaced. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced and easily installed foot pump system?

Defender has foot pumps. As I recall they're expensive. But they fit the mounting holes on my 32-3, which was worth it.

7. How would one go about inspecting the state of the rudder tiller system. There are no issues but it seems to be the case for most vessels that the rudder is fine until it isn't. I imagine there isn't much that can be inspected short of a haul out.

Are there grease fittings? If so.... A common issue for tillers is the casting that mounts the tiller to the rudder post. Examine for cracks or loose keyway. Assure cockpit deck bolts are tight, depite awkwardness of access below. The rudder itself needs a haulout, and play can be judged. My surveyors have always said a bit of play is normal--maybe a quarter-inch.

8. Nice going!

tpcorrigan

Member II
To Question 1. If you download the manual for the E27 from this website you will find the tensions required for all the shrouds and stays. Remember as per your story, backstay tension may have to be adjusted to what tension works best for your roller furler up front. I keep mine at about 2.5 to three inches deflection at about 5 feet above the chain plate. Any less and my roller furler tends to jam at top. I’m assuming you are still rigged as a mast head sloop.

Question 2: Never had that problem on our e27. Then again I’m getting old and may not hear as well!

Question 3: I thought all boats built after 1969 had to have the plate engraved in the transom. Ours is on the starboard side just below the rub rail. I don’t know if it came with a nice decorative plate in the saloon. Might be hanging on a P.O. wall. Oh, and never heard of J. Baldwin.

Question 4: refer to Q3 but also If there is a engraving on the motor mount I have never seen it.

Question 5: What Christian said. Ours is located in the aft cockpit but we are a wheel steer boat. Yours would should have been somewhere in the mid lazerette or so. It might help is you learn to row a boat and rub your belly at the same time to increase the skill level required to steer and pump in an emergency!

Question 6: our boat came with a galley pump only and it was built by Whale pump. They make a rebuild kit and that is what I did a few years ago. Was not hard and has worked well since, although it would be nice to have a foot pump instead.

Question 7: I always check for play when out of the water. At this point, and we have had the boat 6 years, I’ve not had a problem but I have had discussions with a friend of mine in plastics about maybe one day making new collars/bushings. Part of the problem is you have to raise the boat up far enough to take out the rudder and my stands are not tall enough. I will tell you my biggest fear is going out the river in 4 footers or better and hitting the rudder on the bottom. 10’ depth-4’ trough-27’ boat. I may be paranoid but that is the one thing that scars me. Go figure

Hope so of this helps. _/)

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
Thank you everyone. I could rebuild my head and galley pumps. But when my hands are covered in dripping dirty soap one of those hands has to go back and do the pumping. I have not seen any pre-made areas for foot pumps on the e27 so the engineering should be a treat, let's hope for a feat.
I have an idea and I am going to investigate foot pump replacement kits for portable hand cleaning stations. I have a feeling they may be cheaper than Marine foot pumps, I will report the results.
I checked the collar of the rudder and it seems in good condition. There is no noticeable play when moving the tiller back and forth so on the face of it she seems solid. With my grease gun I shoot first and ask questions later, not sure about the PO.
I think that this winter I need to drop my mast.She needs a new antenna, new coax, a new Windex, new spreader lights, and while she is down a complete rewiring through the mast conduit which I hope exists. I am going to use the same method my neighbors did to lower their much larger mast. Rube Goldberg? Hold my beer...

Last edited: