• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 with Volvo Penta MD6B - thermostat replacement options

ndponvert

Hello, my wife and I recently bought an Ericson 27 in great shape, although the inboard diesel needs some love. It is raw-water cooled and we keep the boat in salt water (which stresses me out). The previous owner replaced the impeller recently and flushed with salt-away, but the thermostat was not working and they removed it. So, now it is cooling itself all the time, which I know is not ideal for diesels. The engine starts right up and seems to run fine, although we only have about an hour on it since we bought it. My plan is to try and find a replacement thermostat, do another salt-away flush, check the impeller, and install a temp sensor so I can keep an eye on things. I ordered a thermostat on eBay and they took my money but haven't shipped it yet, so I'm starting to think that may not actually pan out. If anyone knows how to find one, please let me know. Also, if anyone has a service manual for this engine they would be willing to share (or any maintainence tips at all) that would be fantastic. Thanks!

Are you still looking for information on the 6b? Believe the service manual can be found online along with the thermostat. I have the same engine and am also in the seattle area so happy to chat about specifics if desired

a quick online search returns: https://www.ballad.no/Volvo_MD6A_MD7A_Workshop manual.pdf
and the thermostat should be part number 875796, which at the very least can be found on ebay

i'm personally looking into redoing the exhaust system and mixing elbow, would be curious what your setup is like