• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27

mufflaw

Island Boy
HI E Owners, I'm in the process of purchasing a Mid '70's E27, not being sold with an engine! Can you recomend an ideal motor for this model (E27). Also would apreciate any fixer uper tips.

b.carson

Yanmar diesel

The fellow that owned my E-27 before me sailed her single handed around the Caribbean for several years. He had a Yanmar 2GM20 diesel installed new.
I'm sure it cost him $5000.00 cnd to do it but he is a smart old fart and this 20hp motor is small, compact and fits nicely into the compartment. I look after it like a gifted child and expect to get many good years out of it. Would you like a picture? Barnacle Bill

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Is a 20 hp motor the standard for that boat? I'd expect to see something smaller on a boat that size/weight.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I have a 1973 E-27 that came re powered with a 8.3 HP Yanmar 1GM10.

I cruise between 5.5 & 6.5 knots depending on current and head winds. I was off Point Loma in San Diego one time with about a 18 knot head wind and a 1.5 knot current. I was making only about 2 knots of head way. If I were to re power I would probably go with the two of three cylinder models. A friend of mine with a Islander 28 put in a new 3 cylinder yanmar. He paid about 8 K and it came with everything but the exhaust system. I guess other diesel manufactures just provide the engine and sell things like the heat exchangers and instrument panels separately. Also understand that you will need the create a cradle to fit the engine compartment so that you get the proper alignment.

I also noticed a ad for Yanmar, boasting that the new Columbia 30's are using the new single cylinder 9 HP 1GM10 sail drives. Not sure what the displacement of a Columbia 30 is but they say it cruises a 7 or 8 knots.

I was told that by my Yanmar Dealer, it would cost around 6 K for a new single cylinder 9 HP 1GM10. If you can afford it I would defiantly go with a Yanmar. Very reliable!

Here is the advisement on engine size from a independent Yanmar Help Web Site. Lots of good information here.

http://www.yanmarhelp.com/

Which Engine?
Rules of thumb:*Sailboat or displacement launch: one horsepower per 500 pounds ( plus/minus 50lbs ), one kilowatt per 170kg of fully loaded boat is enough to punch into an average seaway. (...ah... no! I can't define 'average seaway', use your imagination )**Planning hull: this depends on how fast you want to go, see HERE.*A planning hull with an all up weight of 10 tons wanting to cruise at 25 knots will need at least 530 horsepower, 395Kw. An 11 ton boat wanting to cruise at 25 knots will need 580 horsepower or 432Kw.*Remember that more engines equal more weight and the extra drive train weight also needs to be taken into account.*You also need to factor in those extra girlfriends, dogs, beer and ice for the summer cruise.:egrin:

Emerald

NateHanson said:
Is a 20 hp motor the standard for that boat? I'd expect to see something smaller on a boat that size/weight.

Hi Nate,

The "standard" inboard was actually the 30HP Atomic 4. Having owned the same E-27 with both an outboard on her and the Atomic 4, I can't rave enough about how great the Atomic 4 is in her. Picture going dead into 25 knots of wind apparent with 2.5 foot waves coming at you and pushing along at 5.8-6.0 knots without a problem. So, 20 hp is just fine for her (also, be aware that in the normal operating mode of the Atomic 4, you are probably really developing more like 20 horsepower - not likely that you are going to run the critter flat out to max RPM for that max HP figure)

While we're talking about engines and satisfaction, I have a Yanmar 2QM15 in my Independence 31, and it is horribly underpowered. This engine is rated for 15 hp, and unless I am on smooth water with nothing fighting me, I will not hit 6 knots. Seems like real cruising speed with real wind and waves is just over 5 knots. The prior owner mentions having had problems on the ICW fighting currents before because of a lack of power. I mention this, because based on the 1 hp/500 pounds, I should have 24HP, and based on real life, I need it! I have an extra Atomic 4 in my basement, and I can't tell you the number of times I've thought about pulling the 2cylinder diesel and putting in the A4.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
How much is Enough?

My former 26 footer displaced about 4000# and had enough power for punching thru a two foot chop in a constricted channel where sailing was not an option -- engine was a 10 hp "hi thrust" Yamaha.

Current 34 footer has 23 hp diesel and displ. is about 10600#. I would not want to have an iota less engine, as far as power-to-weight ratio is concerned.

If this engine ever dies, we will replace it with a 28 hp....
:)

A friend of mine once replaced a deceased Atomic Four gas in his Ericson 27 with a single cylinder Yanmar. He loved it for economy and the boat speed was fine in smooth water, but admitted that it was waaaay underpowered in a short period headsea.

Best,
Loren in PDX
Olson 34 Fresh Air

Emerald

Hi,

And for those doing the displacement power comparison, I didn't mention above that normally the Independence 31 displaces 11,500, and I have an additional 500 lbs of ballast (not under the V-Berths :egrin: ), bringing me up to 12000. As I mentioned above, the 15 HP Yanmar leaves her way underpowered. Other than being too small a motor for my boat, the Yanmar is a nice little engine.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald