• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E28 1986 #620 getting some upgrades

FullTilt E28

Member III
Will be scoping out the Sail only boat show deals in Oakland in a few weeks. We have a resonable budget and want to get the boat all set nice.

#1 Original Traveler upgrade- thinking your normal Harken traveler setup with two lines one on each side run under a dodger.

Thoughts or ideas?

#2 This is a biggie- I'm thinking split mainsheet set up probably something like a 6:1 with each end led aft under the dodger to maybe spinlock cleats for easy flick of the wrist release and trim? I'm really digging this idea. I'll be yanking the original single speed Barient mainsheet winch if this is the case.

#3 No brainer here replace the original still fully functional rope clutches with nice new clutches - will be adding enough to cover all halyards - boomvang and future topping lift.

Hood Roller furler is in great shape so no changes there - yet anyway:)

#4 The big one -- a three window dodger with side handles for going forward safety etc.

Any thoughts or ideas about various products etc?

Last of all I will be working the US yachts Ultimate 20 at the show and will have my own U20 giving rides at the show. So swing by and say HI

Trent
E28 #620 Amani & U20 #27 UFO

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Your "Show of Shows"

Just kidding of course... but beware of the expensive "Garhauer vortex."
Once you start pawing through their shiny low-price SS stuff, and every time you ask about a custom part they instantly agree to fab one up just for you... Oh My!
;)

We will miss the show for the first time in 4 or 5 years... so say Hi to the folks at the UK booth for me and also stop for a quick chat with Peter and Cliff at the Lee Sails booth.

I would *for sure* ask for a ride on your U-20 if we were there. The ride on the Alerion 28 a couple years ago was wonderful.
Always a fun show.
Enjoy!

Cheers,
Loren
:egrin:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Re: Harken Traveller

We have a newer Harken traveller with two lines coming off and under our dodger. It works well--only possible hitch is that the lines are cleated off in a cam cleat, so they need to be flicked up to release--I have to open the zipper in the dodger about 3 inches to accommodate the line doing this. As long as your dodger has those zippers, or some way to allow the lines to be released, it should work well.
The Harken traveller has been great--easy to use, no issues.

We also have a three window dodger with stainless hand holds on each side--they are really helpful in going forward, and in coming onto the boat from the dock through the lifeline gate as we step into the cockpit. The three windows are nice for visibility, and if a problem develops in one window, it's easier to replace one pane (my son cracked the plastic with his elbow, and was an easy fix).

Frank.

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Choice of traveler system.

Trent, I hesitated suggesting anything other than what you posted earlier this morning until just reading Frank's note. Do consider buying the Harken Windward Sheeting System to facilitate ease of operating the traveler car through the dodger, etc. Two control line cam cleats are part of the Windward assembly that attaches to a standard Harken traveler car. These cam cleats are used in place of the two cam cleats Frank mentions and automatically open and close as necessary when tacking. All one has to do after tacking is to adjust the car on the traveler by lightly pulling on the upwind control line. For single handing, make the control lines extra long, drape them over the cockpit cushions and trim the car from the helm. That's what we did and it's worked perfectly and conveniently for years now. Regards, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Gary G

Member II
Enough room

Trent,

I have an '83 E28+ and would love to do some serious upgrades - I'm in a general maintenance $$ draining mode right now. Anyway, are you sure you won't be too crowded in the cockpit with a dodger? We've talked about it but are afraid that the already somewhat limited space would be compressed further. Just a thought.

Gary

FullTilt E28

Member III
Trent,

I have an '83 E28+ and would love to do some serious upgrades - I'm in a general maintenance $$ draining mode right now. Anyway, are you sure you won't be too crowded in the cockpit with a dodger? We've talked about it but are afraid that the already somewhat limited space would be compressed further. Just a thought.

Gary

Not worried about space given the dodger won't be reducing seating space. The racers in us worry about ease of sail handling etc but I think with the upgraded traveler and split main sheet approach it will actually be way more functional than the current set up.

Given we are after comfort and extended use the dodger will add a great deal of comfort and function in SF where the cold winds can put a crimp in what is otherwise a great day to go sailing. Especially with non sailing guests on board.

We have done quite a few overnights already and have plans for more.

We are eyeing a Memorial Day weekend Petaluma River trip as our first extended adventure with the boat. So far it has been a night here and there as we get the learning curve and various things upgraded etc.

FullTilt E28

Member III
Not worried about space given the dodger won't be reducing seating space. The racers in us worry about ease of sail handling etc but I think with the upgraded traveler and split main sheet approach it will actually be way more functional than the current set up.

Given we are after comfort and extended use the dodger will add a great deal of comfort and function in SF where the cold winds can put a crimp in what is otherwise a great day to go sailing. Especially with non sailing guests on board.

We have done quite a few overnights already and have plans for more.

We are eyeing a Memorial Day weekend Petaluma River trip as our first extended adventure with the boat. So far it has been a night here and there as we get the learning curve and various things upgraded etc.

Having said that there is an underground effort by a number of my Wife's single girlfriends for Amani to race in the Vallejo this year as a partyracer. Which could be fun and might even be the one and only time an E28 makes front page news. HA!!!

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
if you decide to run and need non party crew let me know. would be honored to lend whatever help i can. Edd:egrin: Hope to meet up with you Sat. nite for dinner at the strictly sail show... see post in reginal forums

Last edited:

FullTilt E28

Member III
Updates on the E28 upgrades

Garhauler is in the process of building a new traveler to mount in the same exact spot and on the original towers as the worn out original.

I have two new rope clutches (Garhauler) some other assorted gear incoming. We have a dodger in progress and will be installed in June.

Cabin top will be stripped of all the existing gear including the winches and be totally re organized - traveler lines will be led to corner of cabin top - double ended main sheet will also be lead to the corner edge of the cabin top on a camcleat. Winches will be moved inboard as far as possible to facilitate resonably easy winch handle use with dodger.

I don't have the new hardware just yet but initial indications are that I'll mount the traveler lines on the vertical raised section against the companion way to maximize my space options for aft lead main sheet winch relocation etc. Getting pretty jazzed about the updates! Game plan is to have it set up in such a way that main sheet and traveler can easily be accessed by anyone sitting just infront of the wheel from either side of the boat. Reefing lines and halyards will all be run via rope clutches positioned infront of the cabin top winches.

The dodger will be 62 inches high from the cockpit floor - high enough to accomidate a 5'11" person entering and exiting the companion way and standing on the 2nd step - yet keep the asthetics fairly good ie not looking like we are trying to add a 3rd bedroom to the deck. Side hand rails will be on the dodger for a good hard point to grip while going forward.

The aft dodger railing will be flush with the edge of the deck bridge across the front of the companionway idea being you could stand in the front part of the cockpit and not be jammed under the dodger and can see over the dodger. 62inches high also allows the wife to see over the dodger reasonably easy while at the helm.

Add on will be a sun screen that simply zipps to the aft edge of the dodger which hangs via weights across the back of the dodger. This will do a few things. Keep the sun off our teak companionway during non use- cut down on the driving wind/rain we get in our slip thus eliminating our rainy day companion way weathering and minor water intrusion. It will serve as a mosquito net for the delta and a privacy curtain. So we can leave the companionway open without prying eyes or mosquitos.

We went with the soft/flexable window material to allow for easier window stowage for the times when we might want the windows off and a bimini type top.

Gary G

Member II
Trent,

Your upgrades really sound great. Since I have the 1983 model of your same boat I can picture exactly what you're describing. Please post some photos if you can when you're done. I'm especially interested to see how the new traveller works out. Best regards.

Gary
s/v Imi Loa 1983 E28+

ChrisS

Member III
Who is making the dodger?

Trent--

Sounds like you'll have your boat well set up for your use. Who is making the dodger?

--Chris

FullTilt E28

Member III
Quick update

Ok so dodger is almost done Pacific Coast Canvas in Alameda did the dodger. For those of you with an E28 its 62inches tall from the cockpit floor and the aft hand rail is even with the bridge deck edge just outside the companionway. This allows you to stand at the front edge of the cockpit without being impacted by the dodger over hang and the hight allows me at 5ft 10 to stand on the 2nd companionway step - though allows the wife behind the heel to just see over the top if she stands strait or does the occasional tippy toe stretch. The hight also should keep the dodger pretty decent looking regarding porportions with the rest of the boat.

Picts will be sorted out this weekend as we pick it up on Saturday.
I think I have enough for before and after picts with the old traveler vs the new one with dodger etc.

Next step - replacing the furler given we blew out the original furler back in May. So mast comes down - new standing rigging - adjustable backstay being added - new to us / Used harken furler - adding a topping lift and spin pole track since the rig is down.

Original boom has the shape of a bannana so pending what our rigger says we might end up replacing the boom. Anyone replace a boom recently? I have no idea what that might run? Rough pricing ideas anyone? If possible I'd reuse all the boom fittings as they are just fine no slop and look virtually new.

Once the rig is back on we aren't spending any more money on this boat its just sailing and fun from here on out.

The list so far
Electrical update group 24s upgraded to group 31's -digital meter added with modified battery box and some wiring clean up
New custom traveler - new clutches - deck organizers and main sheet set up
New dodger
New standing rigging, furler and fixed backstay changed to adjustable backstay, added topping lift and mast track for spin pole.

Oh and we splurged and replaced our burned out foredeck light with a LED bulb. Ha ha

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
booms are pricier than you might think,Balanger quoted me $2200 to replace the one on my 35-2. It is a bit bigger than yours but you get the idea... oh yeah that is without any bells & whistles Good luck, Edd:egrin:

FullTilt E28

Member III
Boom stuff

OK good to know.
Fingers crossed I might be able to find and make something work like a broken Express 27 mast or something like that. Though my boom isn't broken yet so possible we can save it by beefing it up?

Friend has a broken carbon mast might be an interesting option - E28 with a go fast carbon boom now that would be something. Ha ha

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
The tricky part (and expensive) seems to be in attaching the new spar to the old one. a goose neck to fit the new boom is likely to cost as much as the stick itself. When I got my quote the extrusion was not so bad it was turning it into a functioning boom on my mast that seemed to cost. It may be worth trying to use the old one another season and save up for tho one you really want. Of course if you are like me it just goes on the list of things to save up for, and there is never enough extra money to finish the list. Edd

FullTilt E28

Member III
Picts of the traveler and dodger update

Note that the clutches and main sheet system can be seen in the port side pict taken under the dodger.

Dodger has a zip in screen thats weighted across the bottom - to cut down on the sun exposure to the hatch boards and lines. Also serves as a privacy break at busy locations etc.

We went with the soft flexable windows to make storing them easier vs the stiff non flexable window material that will crease if your not careful with it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trentw_24/sets/72157602823738770
I think this link will work for everyone. There are some shots of the original traveler and the new one.

Boom we will assess and go from there. Our harbor master is very skilled with stainless work and if we can source a strong section from the collection of old masts etc at the club we'll take a shot at building a new boom. The old one with some TLC will last us for a while but both of us have been on boats with broken booms and would like to avoid the broken boom adventure if possible.

Once the mast is done and if we sort out the boom solution I may have my local sail builder take a look at our main and see if what it would cost to change it to a loose footed main. This will help make it easier to shape the main.

I'll take some shots of the battery upgrade and battery box modification and add them also.

Last edited:

Special K

Member II
Traveller upgrade

I own E28 #618 and I am considering an upgrade to the traveller system. I hope it isn't too bold to ask how much the upgrades to your system cost. I have been considering the Lewmar system. Did you consider Lewmar for your replacement? Was it difficult to find someone to bend the track to match the original? Thanks for your input.

FullTilt E28

Member III
I own E28 #618 and I am considering an upgrade to the traveller system. I hope it isn't too bold to ask how much the upgrades to your system cost. I have been considering the Lewmar system. Did you consider Lewmar for your replacement? Was it difficult to find someone to bend the track to match the original? Thanks for your input.

Shoot me your email address I'll send you picts of the new set up.

I went with Garhauler for a couple of reasons price being a big factor and 2nd their stuff is over the top durable and will never again be an issue on the boat. As for the bent traveler I gave garhauler my old traveler they made a template and sent it back. Then built a new traveler for me. I used the existing mounting brackets and didn't even move or touch the teak strip across the hatch cap that sits under the traveler bar. The new traveler arrived and was installed in about 5 minutes purfect fit.

I bought two new deck organisers - two new "4" Clutch banks and the traveler and it came in around $700. Pretty much every other brand traveler was a self install no custom builds or track bending services and the traveler alone was more than $700 - this was a show price though I think it was their normal pricing etc.

Garhauler is in Southern California and outfits all the Catalina yachts. Their stuff is heavier than the Harken and other racy fancy brands but very - very strong and durable any cruiser type boat would find it fantastic gear and have it till the end of time.

FullTilt E28

Member III
New stove going in this weekend

Non pressurized stove going in this weekend replacing the pressurized flame thrower we have now.

Just saw the thread on how to pull the compass off to access the throttle and gear cables. Might do that too!!!