• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E28-2 Info....

Stevenwp2

Greetings... I'm brand new here so please forgive me if I'm doubling up or somehow doing it wrong. ;-)

A few questions regarding the Ericson 28-2, shallow draft I'm considering buying.
Is the mast deck stepped
What's the standing headroom
Anyone re-powered with Yanmar
Any experiences with tiller (my preference) vs wheel

Of course I'm interested in any experiences, strengths or weaknesses folks can cite with this model.
She checks a lot of the boxes for a Florida coastal cruiser, but I am admittedly
unfamiliar with the boat. Thanks in advance!
Steve

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Mast is deck stepped. Head room 6'. Tiller vs wheel? Have had both. Due to limited range of motion in my neck, glad I have a wheel. Love how my boat sails.

galmvig

Member I
Greetings... I'm brand new here so please forgive me if I'm doubling up or somehow doing it wrong. ;-)

A few questions regarding the Ericson 28-2, shallow draft I'm considering buying.
Is the mast deck stepped
What's the standing headroom
Anyone re-powered with Yanmar
Any experiences with tiller (my preference) vs wheel

Of course I'm interested in any experiences, strengths or weaknesses folks can cite with this model.
She checks a lot of the boxes for a Florida coastal cruiser, but I am admittedly
unfamiliar with the boat. Thanks in advance!
Steve
I have a 28-2 and love the boat. It's a perfect size. My boat has a Universal 10 hp diesel engine with about 2,500 hours. Seems to run fine but I do wish I had a little more power. I've used both tiller and wheel and both are about the same to me. One advantage to a tiller is the use of a tiller extension which allows more room to move around the cockpit when sailing. I've only had my boat for 6 months but it's been fun. I am currently having new standing rigging and life lines replaced. Ericson is well know for building quality boats and thats why I bought mine.

Geoff

Special K

Member II
I have owned a 28-2 and I recently moved her up to Anacortes on the same dock as Geoff. I have the 5’ 6” keel, so I can’t speak to the shallow keel sailing characteristics. Our boat is a fantastic light air sailer, but starts to get over powered at about 15 knots. Using some backstay tension and an early reef helps out a lot.

i still have the m2-12 engine, although I added a flex-o-fold prop, which felt like adding 5 extra hp. Having a diesel without a turbo makes everything much simpler when it comes to maintenance and repairs. A tiller can be fun and provide more room in the cockpit, but the wheel is very comfortable. The helm position is very comfy sitting on the leeward side when sailing upwind. You can easily adjust the jib and you get a great view of the slot.

Although I would not characterize the 28-2 as a blue water boat, she has certainly shown her ability to deal with some crazy conditions.

Peter

markvone

Sustaining Member
I owned a shoal draft E26-2 which is similar. Sailing and stability with the shoal keel versions is great. The stability is designed to be the same. The deep keel is slightly more efficient, slightly better lift vs drag. You would only notice any difference sailing upwind side by side next to a deep keel version, maybe. I doubt a casual cruiser would notice any difference except when the deep keel goes aground and stops. I would prefer the shoal keel for Florida cruising. I'm currently debating whether to bring my 6'4" E36RH down to northern Florida.

Mark

Stevenwp2

I owned a shoal draft E26-2 which is similar. Sailing and stability with the shoal keel versions is great. The stability is designed to be the same. The deep keel is slightly more efficient, slightly better lift vs drag. You would only notice any difference sailing upwind side by side next to a deep keel version, maybe. I doubt a casual cruiser would notice any difference except when the deep keel goes aground and stops. I would prefer the shoal keel for Florida cruising. I'm currently debating whether to bring my 6'4" E36RH down to northern Florida.

Mark
That E26-2 looks awesome and would probably be my preference as I'm from the "as small as possible, but no more so" school of thought... but the 5'10" headroom is a deal breaker for me. I'm even nervous about 6'0" on the 28... ;-) Also, I think the 28-2 "shallow draft" @ 4 feet is just the standard keel (as opposed to a proper shoal keel) vs the 5.5' deep draft "racing keel."

markvone

Sustaining Member
The E26-2 is a great little big boat.
I'm 5'10" and I never felt cramped in the E26-2 which my old brochure states the headroom as 6'.
The v-berth is not big enough for two adults, could fit two kids, so the only adult sized double is the pull out settee in the main cabin.
I agree that the 4' foot keel is more a standard than shoal in terms of performance, i.e. little compromise.
I wouldn't put a lot of thought into the keel description. Think marketing. Bruce King knows how to design a boat. The E26-2 brochure(s) call the 3'11" as shoal and the 4'11" as standard or competition depending on where you look. I suspect you start to compromise a lot of sailing performance trying to reduce a 4 foot draft. Heck, my E23 had a 4 foot draft.

Mark

Roger Janeway

Member II
When you are 6'4" you get used to ducking, so I've never been in any sailboat with enough headroom.

My 26-2 is fine! Unless you spend a lot of time living on your boat, you are mostly sitting diown or bending over to pick something up when you are below.

Stevenwp2

Turns out the 28-2 is a wing keel which I didn't even realize was an option. Duh.... I think I did see something somewhere, but SailBoatData.com doesn't show it, so it didn't sink in. I actually like wing keels, so not a big problem, but the trailer I almost bought yesterday has a keel guide welded on for a fin. BTW, this trailer is about 26 feet overall, 2 @ 5,000lb axles w/brakes. I feel like it's right on the edge of being capable for a 7500lb, 28 ft boat... any experiences?