E28+ repower

rpm

Member II
So it’s time to replace my M12 Universal. Winmar 20hp Or electric hybrid? Experience on what fits? This is for weekend cruising in the Puget Sound. Thanks

Attachments

• 05BFE0AA-E691-4648-AF95-44838ABC899F.jpeg
    05BFE0AA-E691-4648-AF95-44838ABC899F.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 9

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
At a dry weight of 7500# for your boat model, I would guess that a Betamarine20 would be ample power, depending on room in your engine compartment.
The Betamarine16 should also be quite adequate, and a bit lighter. That probably is the best option.

(I do not know what a Winmar 20, is, unfortunately.)

Your existing engine is rated at 11 HP, per the Universal website. https://www.westerbeke.com/advanced specs/universal_m2-12.pdf

rpm

Member II
So it’s time to replace my M12 Universal. Winmar 20hp Or electric hybrid? Experience on what fits? This is for weekend cruising in the Puget Sound. Thanks
Excellent. I will look at a Betta which I guess is a sister to Kubota. But I’ll be replacing the Hurt trans also. Are electrics out there too?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My new Betamarine came with the engine (a marinated Kubota), new mounts, trans, coupler, wiring harness, and panel. I did pay a bit more for a larger amperage alternator and a panel with a tach. Also, a connection for the hoses to and from our hot water heater.

bigd14

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Whats wrong with the Universal? Those things are pretty bulletproof and usually cheaper to rebuild than replace with new.