• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E29 Cutlass Bearing

jkenan

Member III
I need to replace the cutlass bearing on my E29, and cannot determine whether it is just the rubber bearing that needs to be pulled, or the bronze sleeve surrounding the rubber bearing as well. If it were the bronze sleeve, i would expect a set screw in the strut which would hold the bearing in place, but there is none. I've read about other types of bearings which do not have a bronze sleeve, and before I start cutting, I want to know what type of bearing I have.

Can anyone help me understand what I have? I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks in advance.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
The cutless bearing consists of BOTH the bronze sleeve and the rubber (neoprene) insert. The rubber is somehow bonded to the bronze; you can't replace just the rubber.

Struts on some boats do have setscrews, but on my '69 32 the bearing is simply pressed into the strut.

There are many posts on how to get the old one out. If you can get away with only having to take the PROP off -- ie, not removing the shaft from the engine -- you'll have a much easier time of it, but that will require fabrication of a split-pipe tool. I suspect the time involved making this tool would be well-spent, but I don't know from first-hand experience: the cutless bearings I've had to replace have always been accompanied by a shaft removal. I have a giant clamp and a piece of threaded rod with a set of specially-ground-down washers to help squeeze the old bugger out and press the new one in.

Also, definitely do some price comparison shopping online. I found that West Marine's price was 3 times what the "best" price is.

jkenan

Member III
Thanks for the info.

The shaft is already out (and replaced with a new aqualoy 22 3/4" shaft), and I know to de-burr it before sliding it through the new bearing and new dripless shaft seal. I was perplexed by the strut assembly - the old rubber component was readily detachable from the bronze component, and the bronze component looks like it could be either a permanent install or part of a removable, aged-out cutlass bearing, which is why I asked. I think it might even be the original cutlass bearing, or at the very least, a very old bearing, because the old shaft was badly scored in that area.

I've researched some tool assembly's to press the old bearing out, and will use 1.25" as the diameter to press, since that is the diameter of the bronze component that I wondered about.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Dave Hussey

Member III
When I did mine, I used a hack saw to cut the bearing so I could split it. That was the only way it would budge. Mine has set screws. The new one squeezed into place nicely with a piece of all-thread and some washers/nuts. The set screws give peace of mind.